Info on going from 12v to 14v

what are the things to be aware of when trying to have a 14v battery instead of a regular 12v? Some car electrical equipment says that it should only be used with a 12v vehicle battery or something like that. Would putting a 14v or even a 16v battery in my car fry my electrical system? Just looking for some knowledge on the issue, because ive noticed people try to have more than 12v with car audio, but car electrical equipment is generally made to work with 12v. Thanks for any helpful info. Links to some good reads on this topic would be cool, did a quick search here and nothing came up so ill just ask. 

As soon as you start your car you are over 14v. When you run higher voltage like 18v, the 12v system needs to be kept isolated to run the car. The high voltage system will be a stand alone system for the stereo.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

4 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

As soon as you start your car you are over 14v. When you run higher voltage like 18v, the 12v system needs to be kept isolated to run the car. The high voltage system will be a stand alone system for the stereo.

Ok. What about just a 14v system, not 18v? Would that need to be on its own and separate from the car start 12v battery? 

4 hours ago, MrSkippyJ said:

To be clear, are you talking about running a 14v system (charging at 16v)?

Honestly i dont know anything about it. I just know with higher voltage systems you get more power out of ur amps. But ive also read caution labels on things saying its only for 12v battery systems. 

I was a little interested in maybe getting a bigger 14v battery (if that is even a thing). But my amps manual says to only use it with a 12v battery. But then most other amps the best power comes from around 14.4v, 12v gives signifcantly less power normally with other amps. 

Im just tryna learn a lil about this topic. For my mids and highs i plan on running im sure 12v would be fine, but possibly when i get into the sub and subamp part of the build, i might wanna have higher voltage? Also i was kinna thinking instead of two 12v batterys, i could get by with one good 14v battery? Again, i dont even know if batteries are sold as 12/14/16/18v, i havent done any battery shopping yet. Thanks for any help man, much appreciated. 

12v systems charge at 14v. 

a 14v system charges at 16v.

to run a 14v system you have to run 2 completely separate charging systems. It's not just adding a battery, you have to run 2 alts. 

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

6 minutes ago, MrSkippyJ said:

12v systems charge at 14v. 

a 14v system charges at 16v.

to run a 14v system you have to run 2 completely separate charging systems. It's not just adding a battery, you have to run 2 alts. 

Aww damn, that sucks. I cant even have one alternator powering two different voltage batterys then? Like one line from the alt to the 12v and one line from the same alt to a 14v? Well i was trying to stay away from two batteries, wanted to get by with just one. BACK to the drawing board lol

Your rig may handle 16v. I dont know, cant answer. Being a sedan, 06, i would think codes, dummy, and dash lights may go full retard. It may eat your ecu, and some un fun stuff. 

But, it may not. You could possibly charge at like 15.9, or so, and be fine. I dont know.

Even then, you wont see much, if any real diff or gain imho. You not running much power, your not competing (trying to net every 10th db). Also, 14v bats are NOT bigger, in fact, they have much much less reserve/amp hour.

Im not sure why you are wanting a 14v system. Why are you ? Because your watching way to many amp dyno vids?

A buddy of mine had a 97 Buick one time. The alt ran away and the head lights were so bright until they finally popped. The battery fried out all of the electrolyte. After a new alt and battery everything was good. lol

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived