Added XS Power battery and lights still dimming. Could my NON class D amp be the culprit?

On 2/10/2017 at 8:50 PM, mathewyocham said:

Ive had the same kinetik batt as you wired to my front lead acid for 3+ years with no isolater and havent had a single issue.  Interstate must have been on its way out.

Could be. What would be the benefit of me eliminating the isolator?

First things first @koolcat90 even though everyone is saying that your d950 is a small battery, I will explain why. So you're running around 600-650ish watts right? Well with your car off, and the battery fully charged, that battery still only has 28aH. So if you do the math 28ah at 12v is only going to allow for 336 watts. Say you get 13.8v that's still only 386.4 watts. Now, if you get rid of the isolator what ever your front battery is in amp hours, will then be combined together. So say your front battery was maybe 34ah, combined that's 62ah. At 12v that's 744 watts it could handle for x amount of time. If you'd like to keep the isolator on your d925, you'll need at least two more of them to give you what you're looking for. Or you can sell it to one of your buddies and grab yourself a bigger battery like a d3100, d3400, or even the d7500 which has 140ah.  Also you'll have to make sure that your front battery and rear battery are around the same "age" or manufactured at the same time. Usually when you add a second battery and it kills the front battery, that's because the front battery is already older and weaker so the newer battery being stronger and taking more of a charge than the first battery will cause the first one to get weaker because it's pushing a charge through the first one that it cannot handle. I hope what i just said makes sense, it did in my mind at least. Lol

Having an isolater is only really needed if your playing for long periods with the car off. Idk of any negatives other than one more connection in your power wire so a possible fail point. I also dont suggest running your system for long with your car off as you could damage equipment.

Archived