How to avoid on/off thud

Reality is it's just how certain equipment interacts when used together. It's all hypothetical until it's in the car. There is no 'do this and you'll never have it' that's worth implementing until it's there. The problem is far less rampant than it was decades ago as most modern HU have the timing figured out on turning the amp on vs. the audio output section--which is all you could possibly change by adding a relay (the 0.5 second it takes to trigger and connect). Many amps implement a soft-start feature to avoid it as well.

Not knocking your enthusiasm or quest for knowledge, but hypotheticals can get tiresome. Especially when they're all over the board. IIRC you had a multi page thread about the best connection type for SQ and then turn around and review a cassette adapter...and now we're back to a scenario that is unlikely given decent equipment. Rule of thumb--if you are turning on three or more pieces with the HU, add a relay. If you have a thump you can try adding a small capacitor to the turn-on lead to delay turn-on further if needed, but that can lead to a turn-off thump by keeping the amps on a tiny bit longer. It's been 15 years since I've installed a system that had any type of thump, but I guess it is possible.

Static drops are my bag.

1 hour ago, 06RTCharger said:

To the bitchy comments.....the title says AVOID! How to avoid.....meaning how do i fuckin AVOID having the thump when i do hook everything up. Jesus CHRIST LOL why do u get so bothered with the status of my build? Specially you ky, u go as far as to post on ur own status tryna call me out on pic of the build. 

To all the helpful insight, thanks alot, much appreciated. Even the hidden help you offered ky lol thanks, ease up man fuck. 

Your thread title is somewhat misleading. Avoid meaning, how to stop it. How to prevent it, etc. Now if you had worded it differently like system installed and working, getting sub thump how do I stop it, would be much better. It's all about how you choose your words buddy.

I thought you were having issues, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought this.

like i said, turn on thump is like so 1990. you will be an old man before your time if you worry about too many things. Hope you build soon and then tackle problems as they arise. 

1 hour ago, 06RTCharger said:

I just need my sub amps, rcas, speaker wire, bunch of wire terminals, some techflex/loom/tesatape, fuses, fuse holders, hardware(screws,nutsbolts,abs sheets), table and lift for my router, couple more power tools, yah alot of shit still to go. 

Completion Date: NEVER

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Incriminator Lethal Injection 12"

1 hour ago, boomintahoe said:

Your thread title is somewhat misleading. Avoid meaning, how to stop it. How to prevent it, etc. Now if you had worded it differently like system installed and working, getting sub thump how do I stop it, would be much better. It's all about how you choose your words buddy.

I thought you were having issues, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought this.

Its a title and is meant to be short, my first post explains more and states that this is pertaining to "plans" and "layout". I was asking for tips and things to apply to my install so that i dont have any thumps and pops and stuff like that. Im tryna think ahead. You did give me helpful tips in ur first post also, thank you for that.

2 hours ago, jk13 said:

Reality is it's just how certain equipment interacts when used together. It's all hypothetical until it's in the car. There is no 'do this and you'll never have it' that's worth implementing until it's there. The problem is far less rampant than it was decades ago as most modern HU have the timing figured out on turning the amp on vs. the audio output section--which is all you could possibly change by adding a relay (the 0.5 second it takes to trigger and connect). Many amps implement a soft-start feature to avoid it as well.

Not knocking your enthusiasm or quest for knowledge, but hypotheticals can get tiresome. Especially when they're all over the board. IIRC you had a multi page thread about the best connection type for SQ and then turn around and review a cassette adapter...and now we're back to a scenario that is unlikely given decent equipment. Rule of thumb--if you are turning on three or more pieces with the HU, add a relay. If you have a thump you can try adding a small capacitor to the turn-on lead to delay turn-on further if needed, but that can lead to a turn-off thump by keeping the amps on a tiny bit longer. It's been 15 years since I've installed a system that had any type of thump, but I guess it is possible.

So since im already planning on a relay, and you say HU usually have the timing right. I should grab the turn on signal from the HU and not from the ACC wire directly? Im using the relay for 4 amps.

i know all about tiresome lol its almost irratating reading about all the possible issues and crap to think about while putting together an install. And yah i did have that long ass thread, i think it was even shut down by ops lol. And the tape adapter is great for what it is. I still have my stock radio in the car, no aux port so im using that. Is the capacitor something in addition to a relay, or is that for when you dont use a relay? Something i read had mentioned adding a diode to a relay, to help disapate the energy or something, you know what those are?

We appreciate your enthusiasm and all your efforts to "get it right the first time" but at some point you have to give us a picture or two. Take a picture of your car or of your gear or something. lol I am sure that something during the build will come up that you will learn from too as it is impossible to think of everything. Like all the gear you want to use sounds like it will go together nicely, but every install is different and practical knowledge will save the day when theory goes out the window. Knowledge that you will gain by doing. Knowledge that will invariably cause you to change and upgrade equipment because there is always the feeling that there is something more.

This thread is worthless without pictures.

So how about a picture of that alternator?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I just post almost everything i have on my status. The speakers came in today, SO STOKED! Lol but at the same time bummed cuz i know i wont be hearing it for a while still lol. My alts still in the un opened box lol, put ill go snap a pic. Just to show i aint bullshitin and tryna waste no ones time like a troll or somethin. Might thrown the 4/0 in the pic to becuase theyre in the same spot right now. 

Archived