How to avoid on/off thud

What do i need to do to avoid those loud thuds that can ruin speakers when turning car on or off? Most of the things i read is that something with the remote turn on wires. 

So i plan on using a relay to a small little distro strip and connect all amps remote to that relays distro strip. But do i need anything else, i seen mentions of diodes, what would that help do with this issue?

Ive been sketching out plans for my trunk layout. Putting 4 amps in the trunk with power and ground distribution blocks, fuse distribution blocks, circuit breakers. Im trying to have a efficent and clean looking layout. Thanks for any help.

You sure do ask a lot of questions. Do you search much?

Your thumping problem could be 1 of 3 reasons: 1) make sure you gotta good ground. As in bare metal to metal. 2) Check your remote wire. See if it's lose at all, need a solid connection. 3) Your amp is turning on too fast. Might have to re-tune it if necessary. Another one I just came up with is make sure the subs spkr wires aren't touching each other.

You can get a thump if the gain is too high. Some amps will cause other amps in the system to thump if they have a different turn on time. Different manufacturers have different turn on times which can cause a problem. The deck should mute long enough to get everything turned on. You just need to hook it up and see what you have. 

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

sometimes adding a replay inline for remote wire works.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

8 hours ago, boomintahoe said:

You sure do ask a lot of questions. Do you search much?

Your thumping problem could be 1 of 3 reasons: 1) make sure you gotta good ground. As in bare metal to metal. 2) Check your remote wire. See if it's lose at all, need a solid connection. 3) Your amp is turning on too fast. Might have to re-tune it if necessary. Another one I just came up with is make sure the subs spkr wires aren't touching each other.

Searching is what causes the questions lol, i wouldnt know about the thuds unless i read about someone else having the issue. I was reading someones problems of the thuds actually blowing his mids, had to buy new ones. Im doing my first build with some stupid expensive equipment, i really dont wanna learn the hard way, id like to learn from the wise and learn ahead of time. I looked around for what to do to stop it and theres alot of things, and alot of different reasons for the thuds. Figure id ask what measures i need to take to avoid the thud all together. 

6 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

You can get a thump if the gain is too high. Some amps will cause other amps in the system to thump if they have a different turn on time. Different manufacturers have different turn on times which can cause a problem. The deck should mute long enough to get everything turned on. You just need to hook it up and see what you have. 

I shouldnt have a gain issue when i instal, i have a DD1+. And my HU will put out close to 5V. Is there anyway to check my amps turn on time? 

6 hours ago, Karkov said:

sometimes adding a replay inline for remote wire works.

A relay u mean right? Thats what im planning on doing, wireing my HU and 4 amps to one of those CE turn on relay kits, i was going to use the ACC ignition wire to run the relay. Do you know anything about diodes being added to a relay to help with left over power being sent back or something like that? 

Do you have "turn on thump" ????  Is your system up and running? Or just asking another stupid question about something you might not have to deal with?  

A turn on relay, that you can turn the amps on a bit after start up will cure it    but first, you have to have a system up, installed and running to get any thump. Try doing that first. 

Archived