Second Skin Audio

"Used" 10W6V3 Smells Burnt uninstalled?

adreano17

Just grabbed a JL Audio W6V3. Opened the box, and was overwhelmed with fumes. I was thinking the sub was punished/clipped by the previous owner. Contacted him via eBay and told him I wanted a refund. He stated they never seen power. Fishy...because that wasn't on the description, but "perfect condition" was. I would think that was a selling point, but whatever. 

Few hours went by, and the smell subsided a bit. Opened a new DMM, and the plastic smelled relative to the same smell as the subs (kinda like an electrical component smell). DMM hovered 1.5-1.8 ohms. I was informed that is okay. 

Thoughts on this? If this is normal, or if the guy story matches up with being "unpowered"? 

Contacted JL Audio customer support, and they said it should not have a smell. Just looking for some input on if someone has owned these subs and had a like smell. 

Thanks in advance. 

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Pioneer AVH-p5700DVD | MB Quart Onyx ONX4.125 | 6.5 Alpine Type-S component & 6x9 3-way | Hifonics Brutus brz1700.1d | 2 - 12" Kicker L7 | Custom box tuned to 36 hz | 220A Mechman Alternator | 1/0 OFC Welding all the way back | Big 3 | 2 Farad Tsunami Cap | Deka 9a34 | 20% Tint | 6000K HIDs | Yellow Projector Fogs | Dual Out Magnaflow

assuming the sub is a D4 VC configuration, as I don't see a D2 listed on their site, no, 1.5 - 1.8 ohms is not normal. You should read much closer to 4ohm when measuring each coil individually.

Yeah, it was weird for me too. I thought it woulda been 4, But JL tech support suggested it should read 2 ohms. They use jumpers on the DVC to wire down to 2ohms automatically. There is only one speaker lead to connect to, unlike the usual DVC you and I are used to. 

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Pioneer AVH-p5700DVD | MB Quart Onyx ONX4.125 | 6.5 Alpine Type-S component & 6x9 3-way | Hifonics Brutus brz1700.1d | 2 - 12" Kicker L7 | Custom box tuned to 36 hz | 220A Mechman Alternator | 1/0 OFC Welding all the way back | Big 3 | 2 Farad Tsunami Cap | Deka 9a34 | 20% Tint | 6000K HIDs | Yellow Projector Fogs | Dual Out Magnaflow

I bought a knockoff Dremel from Harbor Freight. It smelled "burnt". It smelled so bad I had to keep it outside for a weekend to let the tool and case air out.

Having said that, that was 2 years ago and it still works flawlessly.

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Incriminator Lethal Injection 12"

2 minutes ago, adreano17 said:

Yeah, it was weird for me too. I thought it woulda been 4, But JL tech support suggested it should read 2 ohms. They use jumpers on the DVC to wire down to 2ohms automatically. There is only one speaker lead to connect to, unlike the usual DVC you and I are used to. 

Good to know. 

Then yes, 1.5-1.8 is fine.

1 minute ago, twalker182 said:

I bought a knockoff Dremel from Harbor Freight. It smelled "burnt". It smelled so bad I had to keep it outside for a weekend to let the tool and case air out.

Having said that, that was 2 years ago and it still works flawlessly.

Yeah, you know exactly what I am talking about. I have no clue why that smell happens. I think I am just extra cautious and skeptical since I grabbed from eBay. Just need a sanity check still. 

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

I've had similar situations, I mean, things smelling burnt.  Without being there and knowing how bad yours is it's hard to say...makes me wonder though.  Tech support said is shouldn't smell though......and it does........

I want to know what the future holds with this, please keep us posted.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

5 minutes ago, Karkov said:

I've had similar situations, I mean, things smelling burnt.  Without being there and knowing how bad yours is it's hard to say...makes me wonder though.  Tech support said is shouldn't smell though......and it does........

I want to know what the future holds with this, please keep us posted.

Update for you and others!

JL Audio support tech kind of mislead. But benefit of the doubt, maybe I was making it seem like something that it was not. Went to a Authorized JL Audio dealer today, and had their opinion on it. He smelled it, and said it smelled fine. His ohms also checked out as well. Calling it a false alarm. 

I think this may have been due to it being in the box during transit, and the fumes of the subwoofer materials building up in the box. So concentrated, I thought something was wrong. In retrospect, it does smell like electronic plastic (like described earlier in the thread). Was super skeptical about it since it was from eBay. Lesson learned...

I apologized to the seller for the misunderstanding. Will hook up in a few weeks when my amp and stuff gets here. Hope all will be well then. 

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Archived