Second Skin Audio

Already doing some surround damage with no amp! Epoxy?

Yeaaaaaa UHMMMM....Sooo I just got this sub last week for my sisters car(SA15) that I got for her....And well, I totally ripped the surround without even breaking the damn thing in yet LOL. Was using a socket on these 6mm/flat head bolts, was pushing down too hard and the bolt slid off and right through the surround. Had some baby-man tears all up inside my feelies and soccer kicked myself in the soul...Honestly I got mad for a second but in the end I learned something, NEVER rush stuff that never needs to be rushed especially when you have all the time in the world. I got lucky, was able to retrieve the socket with a magnet wand.

Don't think it's possible I can go a week without breaking anything at home AND at work ?

QUESTION; I'm using rubber epoxy, is it best to treat it in layers as each one drys?

That sucks man anytime I'm installing subs I put my hand around the screw just for that reason, hope it works out ok.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

31 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

That sucks man anytime I'm installing subs I put my hand around the screw just for that reason, hope it works out ok.

I had my hand around it and unfortunetly it actually jumped over my knuckles, I know next time I'm just gonna take it nice and slow.

14 minutes ago, strangeduck said:

yes, two part epoxy should fix it right up. apply front and back

Word! Thanks man

Should of used a glue that stays flexible once dried/cured.

Epoxy gets hard, and once hard the surround will no longer move naturally where the epoxy is applied.

In time the surround may start to wear around the outer edges of the epoxy due to it not moving naturally and cause it to tear in those areas.

Even worse case scenario is if you covered too much of the surround with epoxy it will cause the moving assembly to no longer move linearly which can result in coil rub.

Shoe goop works fairly well for puncture repairs like this, as well as nitrile rubber glue, or some contact cements from Global Adhesives like this stuff here https://www.parts-express.com/black-rubber-cement-speaker-repair-glue-1-oz-bottle--340-078

Also only the inside of the surround is needed to be glued, which will also keep the appearance of the speaker looking better.

Aw man that sucks! Been there done that. lol

I learned to put my thumb over the surround to protect it. One time I jabbed my thumb right beside the nail with a #2 Philips bit and a cordless drill. I shook my hand and flung blood everywhere. lol

Maybe take the sub out and get some on the inside.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

1 hour ago, audiofanaticz said:

Should of used a glue that stays flexible once dried/cured.

Epoxy gets hard, and once hard the surround will no longer move naturally where the epoxy is applied.

In time the surround may start to wear around the outer edges of the epoxy due to it not moving naturally and cause it to tear in those areas.

Even worse case scenario is if you covered too much of the surround with epoxy it will cause the moving assembly to no longer move linearly which can result in coil rub.

Shoe goop works fairly well for puncture repairs like this, as well as nitrile rubber glue, or some contact cements from Global Adhesives like this stuff here https://www.parts-express.com/black-rubber-cement-speaker-repair-glue-1-oz-bottle--340-078

Also only the inside of the surround is needed to be glued, which will also keep the appearance of the speaker looking better.

Just placed an order on that glue, possible to remove this stuff? Lol

Archived