Sonic Electronix

I just installed a new subwoofer in my car. It's an American bass XFL1044, wired to 2 ohms and bridged to a Hifonics Brutus 1100. I know im gonna get crap for the amp lol. I'm 17 and the amp was in my price range. So basically all my audio will cut off for a split second in some songs i play. I had the issue shortly after i start my car up. Doesn't do it for every song though. I thought it was a voltage problem but it could be clipping. The car is a 2000 Jeep cherokee classic with 200,000 miles

Welcome to the greatest car audio forum out there. More info might help, like: Stock alt and it's amperage ratings, Are you running other amps (mids & Highs), what battery are you using, what kind of wire, Is the amp new? ECT.

Sounds like loose ground or remote turn on possible. Clipping doesn't usually cause amps to turn on and off. Power issues do. Is the amp rated for bridged 2 ohm. We all started with budget equipment and most still run equipment on budgets. Not everyone can afford the best of the best.

Do you have any pics of amp wired in and alt?

I am sure others will chime in just give it time. 

2 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

Sounds like loose ground or remote turn on.

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Incriminator Lethal Injection 12"

4 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

Welcome to the greatest car audio forum out there. More info might help, like: Stock alt and it's amperage ratings, Are you running other amps (mids & Highs), what battery are you using, what kind of wire, Is the amp new? ECT.

Sounds like loose ground or remote turn on possible. Clipping doesn't usually cause amps to turn on and off. Power issues do. Is the amp rated for bridged 2 ohm. We all started with budget equipment and most still run equipment on budgets. Not everyone can afford the best of the best.

Do you have any pics of amp wired in and alt?

I am sure others will chime in just give it time. 

The ground is cut a little too much but it's far from loose. I had 2 8" mtx tubes before and it would do the same thing. No other amps are running mids and highs, I'm in the process of doing that. So far they're deck power and I can definitely tell the HU gets hot. Just some songs will make everything cut out. I'm uploading the pics of the setup on my account. 

--Running deck power to fronts

--ALL SOUND cuts out.

It's either a voltage issue, wiring issue, or overheat issue that is causing a problem with the head unit. Unplug amp and see if problem persists without it. If that's good next is get a volt gauge or use a multi meter to test voltage drop. Can also check wiring behind HU and/or clear some space back there for air flow if possible. A tangled mess of wires packed in there can cause overheat issues.

Static drops are my bag.

3 hours ago, jk13 said:

--Running deck power to fronts

--ALL SOUND cuts out.

It's either a voltage issue, wiring issue, or overheat issue that is causing a problem with the head unit. Unplug amp and see if problem persists without it. If that's good next is get a volt gauge or use a multi meter to test voltage drop. Can also check wiring behind HU and/or clear some space back there for air flow if possible. A tangled mess of wires packed in there can cause overheat issues.

I'll take a look at it. I think when I give it too much power, the entire thing stops to prevent it from blowing. Maybe an amp for my mids and highs will reduce some the heat. Also live in Florida so it's constantly hot lol

How long until the amp shuts off? Are you able to play it for a bit then it just happens? Is it hot when you feel it?

What is your ground wire connected to? Is it the same size wire as your power wire? 

Friend of mine had a similar issue, he was able to play some songs then poof on others the amp was a no go. It was his ground and where he put it. It was on a factory bolt but there was carpet in between the connection. Ran a new ground and whappam problem solved. 

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

i would recommend buy a volt meter and running a 16ga wire from the amp power input up to the front and hook the volt meter to it. I'm not a fan of AC Delco electrical. Might just be weak electrical, might just be bad connections at your battery,. Since this issue has been on going im guessing the stock wiring is to blame. Start at the battery terminals and check for loose connections. Maybe add at least a 4ga ground from the battery to the frame of the vehicle. You probably have a C channel frame so you could use a wire cup brush on a drill and clean around a existing hole in the frame and use a bolt and nut to attach the ground to it. Do the same in the rear and run that ground straight to the amp. Just me spitballing

Archived