Second Skin Audio

Worth the Upgrade Costs?

Daniel644

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, looking at some sub options and was wondering if any one could explain a few things, looking at the current Fi SSD to save some money over the level 4's and was wondering the current coil options are the standard copper, the flatwound and the high xmax, from searching i've gathered the flatwound increases motor force and power handling some but can't find detail on the high xmax coil, so should I even spend the money on options given the rest of my setup and that it's a daily driver and not a competition vehicle?

9 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

probably could go 2 lvl3 15s on that amp.. save even more over the ssds 

I was thinking about that, but stock SSD direct from Fi vs Stock Level 3's from Sonic Electronix (cheapest place I've seen them) the Level 3's are only a 20-30 dollar savings over the SSD's and the SSD's are actually rated for the power of my amp vs. bordering right below it with the level 3's and all the posts asking if it's safe to daily push the level 3's that high are from 5-7 years ago when they had an even lower power handling rating so I don't know if it would be safe to push them that far.

You'll be fine pushing them. As long as the signal is clean and undistorted, the level 3's should be fine being powered by a slightly higher rated amp. 

16 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

I was thinking about that, but stock SSD direct from Fi vs Stock Level 3's from Sonic Electronix (cheapest place I've seen them) the Level 3's are only a 20-30 dollar savings over the SSD's and the SSD's are actually rated for the power of my amp vs. bordering right below it with the level 3's and all the posts asking if it's safe to daily push the level 3's that high are from 5-7 years ago when they had an even lower power handling rating so I don't know if it would be safe to push them that far.

oh didnt know they kept the older ssds i thought the neos replaced them  that amp is 2000rms at 1ohm and doing less so under rms for the ssds  at 1250 a piece and probably about right for the lvl3s 900 a piece undistorted that amp is probably only doing 1800 if it follows f the othe hifonics that been dynoed 

1 hour ago, CstrokerV said:

oh didnt know they kept the older ssds i thought the neos replaced them  that amp is 2000rms at 1ohm and doing less so under rms for the ssds  at 1250 a piece and probably about right for the lvl3s 900 a piece undistorted that amp is probably only doing 1800 if it follows f the othe hifonics that been dynoed 

yeah, it looks like they ditched the regular Q's but give either magnet/motor choice for the SSD's.

I tried messing with WinISD punching in the T/S parameters and details of my box best I could convert them over to metric and if I did it right these are the curves:

GAIN:

gain.jpg.8a9cdd91801a9b19f36f4abdc8a46a2c.jpg

Group Delay:

59c2454e5c352_groupdelay.jpg.403dff9302915623e990b4d2789c8795.jpg

SPL:

SPL.jpg.197ce3801cee525f12357bccf21b3369.jpg

I know enough to know the green is a faster response time (but I don't know if it matters on this small a scale) and that for most of the subwoofer frequency range the green is a higher output, but does that equate to just being louder? does it effect the sound quality, like would the red give better sound quality since it's an overall flatter curve?

• 4 weeks later...

OK guys need a little more advise, I ended up getting a pair of DC Audio Level 3 15's (dual 1 ohm, wired in series/parralel to run at 1 ohm total), I was running the numbers and realized I could increase box volume (getting closer to my original design before I lengthened the port, which honestly I liked the sound of better when I had my planet audio subs in there) and only raise the tuning frequency like maybe 1 hertz by simply eliminating the second port piece (which would be fairly easy to do), my concern is this would put the box volume at 3.98 cubes PER SUB (after sub displacement), the level 3's are spec'd for a 3 cube box when ported, can they be safely run at 4 cubes?

existing port.jpgalternate port.jpg

rusty told me on one of my posts that as long as I dont seriously over power my level 3 12" I can go 1.75 vs the 1.25 factory recomended so the 15" should follow suit..... start a new thread on the dc section and ask him since he knows what his subs can handle..... but I opted for the AR cone and surround so apples to apples might not compare the same

Archived