Bought our house at the beginning of August of '17, immediately had ADT install a security system on the windows and doors. Earlier, sometime after the wife went to work (my time is 8 hours ahead of her), she received an email alert telling her our alarm was triggered. She went and checked it out, said nothing seemed out of place or damaged, but the alarm was triggered for our big bay window in the front room. It's kind of scary to think someone may have attempted to break in to our home. I know my pup Blitz definitely is NOT a guard dog, unless you're allergic to playtime and dog tongue. After some worry and thinking, I've decided it's a good idea to add some cameras for visual monitoring to a few points around the outside, and maybe some inside one day, that way if anything happens in or around the house, maybe we'll see some face(s) on camera and be able to use it to identify the culprit. I told her to ask ADT what they offer, but I also did a little searching on their camera systems and was not really content with what I found. Lack of local storage, 30 second segments only, and of course an increase in our payment. So I started digging into what all I would need for a DIY networked system with remote viewing capability, and I find myself much more inclined to do it myself and pay for it all at once and install it and not have to worry about an additional contract and monthly payment and everything else that would be required with ADT. 4-8 channel Network Video Recorder, HDD, UPS, a couple cameras, some cat5e, and should be good to go. The NVR and cameras that I found to be of good price point and quality, recommended for the DIYer, are Hikvision brand. So I figured I'd come here, see what kind of recommendations some of you guys may have, cause there's bound to be a few people with home security systems for monitoring while you're at work, vacation, etc.... Any good or bad reviews with Hikvision equipment? Other equipment recommendations, etc? I've still got a little time left on this deployment, so it'll give me plenty of time to figure out exactly what I want to go with before I get home and pull the trigger. Once I am 100% set on the equipment, home safe and sound, and am able to begin installing the equipment, i'll gladly turn this into a build log for any who care.

Let me know what you think and what recommendations you guys have. Thanks.

We use D-link cameras u can take pictures on your phone and even move the cameras around 360degrees , It’s just for our animals my wife is crazy but they might offer more security things online . Shit was really easy to install and get running . I’ve seen the newer cameras u can talk through. My 2 cents. 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Once I save up enough I plan on getting Hikvision as well. I've read a ton of good things about them from several different forums.

Just be sure you get them from a vendor from the Hikvision website so you know they are US cameras, otherwise you won't be able to update them.

25 minutes ago, MrBalll said:

Once I save up enough I plan on getting Hikvision as well. I've read a ton of good things about them from several different forums.

Just be sure you get them from a vendor from the Hikvision website so you know they are US cameras, otherwise you won't be able to update them.

which forums have you looked at, just so I can cross check reviews and stuff, might find some amplifying info about them. Thanks for the distributor tip :)

1 hour ago, Ron36 said:

We use D-link cameras u can take pictures on your phone and even move the cameras around 360degrees , It’s just for our animals my wife is crazy but they might offer more security things online . Shit was really easy to install and get running . I’ve seen the newer cameras u can talk through. My 2 cents. 

Thank you, I'll look into the D-Link stuff as well. I saw a few intercom cameras in my searches as well, but that's not really a feature for me. I'm 90% sure if I talked to my dog through a camera, he'd try and find a way to eat the camera :pmight put one by the front door and mess with the mailman though next time he throws a package under my gutter drain spout

• 10 months later...

I never made a decision, so unfortunately still no visual protection for my home. Maybe after my baby is born and the holiday season is over and life stops getting in the way

Archived