batteries banks.

So kinda asking around to learn stuff my local audio shop told me (i don't believe it but if it is true somehow please explain) that if i had a battery bank with lets say 7 big batteries and 1 small battery that are all in parallel that i am only as strong as the weakest battery. of course this would be true in series but in parallel any battery added helps right.

To my understanding lets say senario 1 you have one battery with unlimited power your amp draws lets say 200 amps from it at its max so thats simple now for senario 2 we add a tiny battery of the exact same voltage that can supply a current of 1 amp before the voltage drops. So now your amp plays a note it takes 2 amps or less it will split nearly 50 50 asuming the resistance of the wire is the same on both now lets say it draws 200amps i believe it will draw as much curent as it can from the small battery but then the voltage in the small battery will start to drop causing it to draw more current the extra it needs from the higher voltage source, the bigger battery. 

if you have a battery that rests at 12.3, and another battery that rests at 12.8, once they're paralleled, the higher voltage battery will slowly drop to the other battery's level in order to level out the charge between the two, thus reducing the capabilities of the higher resting battery. as far as amperage goes, yes, no matter what size battery, paralleling them will increase ampacity as whole, looking like one big ass 12V battery, or 14V,, or whatever floats your boat

4 minutes ago, reedal said:

if you have a battery that rests at 12.3, and another battery that rests at 12.8, once they're paralleled, the higher voltage battery will slowly drop to the other battery's level in order to level out the charge between the two, thus reducing the capabilities of the higher resting battery. as far as amperage goes, yes, no matter what size battery, paralleling them will increase ampacity as whole, looking like one big ass 12V battery, or 14V,, or whatever floats your boat

This,.. any bat with a lil higher rest voltage, will bleed to the weaker, but as a total, its one large bank (amperage), not to mention, when you run the rig, they all will see a higer voltage, due to the alt. So, one small bat, with 400 large bats, no, the smaller bat is not the weak link..... Its a total bank. 

s if you have the senario of a 12.3 and a 12.8 the 12.8 will drop to 12.3 but through an alternator in or a charge source and i would think they would be at their own individual voltages now. But i do suppose that the voltage has to be the same between the batteries unless there is a resistance between them. 

Well i do see a benifit or two one if you audio system causes a volage drop you car electeonics dont see the drop and 2 if you leave your haedlights on it doesnt drain the bank.  But isolating isnt really nesseaary for anything. 

Voltage would still drop to the cars electronics if the alternator can't keep up. An isolator doesn't fix that.

Different capacities in parallel aren't an issue mostly. Current isn't drawn from one battery before the other. The biggest issue with parallel batteries is matching voltages. A parallel setup will always be trying to equalize the voltage across all batteries.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived