Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

why are my subs showing 1.5ohms on volt meter when wired to 1ohm>?


Recommended Posts

Posted

why are my subs showing 1.5ohms on volt meter when wired to 1ohm>?  some of the wire i used to wire the subs is 10gauge and theres 1 jumper wire thats like 14gauge could that be why?

ORION HCCA 10.4 2000 watts RMS 4000 watts max

hifonics brutus 2600 bxi

Alpine IDA -305 Digital receiver

0 gauge power wire 250 amp fuse

800 watt BUTTKICKER BASS SHAKER

Kicker zx-400 amp to power buttkicker

Posted

Maybe but probably not. What are your subs/how many/how do you have them wired? Also are they hooked up to anything when you are checking ohms?

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

  4 FI X 10

 270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

 AA 3800.1

  (2) AA 75.4

     

Posted

that's roughly within the voice coil tolerance especially if it's 2 or more subs. that's just DC resistance of the sub not what the amp actually sees when playing music.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Posted
3 hours ago, reedal said:

When you set your meter to measure resistance, and only touch the meter’s leads together, what number do you get?

This^  start by doing this, then subtract your number

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Posted

The setup is 2 soundqubbed hds2 15s.  Dvc 4ohms. I'll touch the leads together and subtract. So was I doing it wrong if I had the music turned off and just touched the leads to the speaker output terminals on my amp. It starts at like 1.8ohms the creeps down to 1.5 1.6. I figured this is why I'm not getting as many watts as I want out of my amp cause it's 1.5ohms

ORION HCCA 10.4 2000 watts RMS 4000 watts max

hifonics brutus 2600 bxi

Alpine IDA -305 Digital receiver

0 gauge power wire 250 amp fuse

800 watt BUTTKICKER BASS SHAKER

Kicker zx-400 amp to power buttkicker

Posted

If it were me I would disconnect from the amp then measure. There may be no need in it but that's how I ohm mine.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

  4 FI X 10

 270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

 AA 3800.1

  (2) AA 75.4

     

Posted

I measure mine not connected to anything but it may not matter, hopefully someone smarter than me shows up.  I am assuming you already triple checked your wiring to make sure you are wired to 1 ohm nominal to the amp? I don't know what DCR those subs come at.  Curious what resistance number you get touching your leads together.  What meter are you using?  

 

I am just not able to think at the moment, so tired, lol, sorry......

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Posted

Ill check shortly it's just a cheap multimeter I got from parts express

ORION HCCA 10.4 2000 watts RMS 4000 watts max

hifonics brutus 2600 bxi

Alpine IDA -305 Digital receiver

0 gauge power wire 250 amp fuse

800 watt BUTTKICKER BASS SHAKER

Kicker zx-400 amp to power buttkicker

  • 3 weeks later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 633 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...