Sonic Electronix

I could really use some help upgrading my system

Hey guys. I've been looking at stereo equipment for my boat for the past 2 weeks and the more I dig, the more I feel lost. The boat is a cabin cruiser and is kept on freshwater so the equipment doesn't have too be marine rated. I currently have two JL Audio 7.7 (M770CCXSGWH) and I'm going to be adding two more soon. I'm looking for a 4 channel amp that is somewhere in the 100-150 RMS range. At least that's what I think I should be looking for.

For the Subs, I have two 12w3v3 subwoofers in a wedge box that has one  speaker wire connection that says final 4ohms. I found this site after watching  a BigDWiz video on the Taramp MD1800.1. I thought that would be a good fit for this pair of subs, but I have to admit I don't understand the ohms and how to determine if this amp has enough power. I'm currently using a Crunch GPV 2100.1. I thought this amp was fine, but after looking at a dyno test on youtube, i think I was wrong. 

As you can see, I'm looking to keep this a budget build. I have a lot of other things that I need to do to the boat so I don't have a lot in my stereo budget this year and maybe not next. Can you guys tell me if that Taramp is a good choice and is there another budget type 4 channel amp that will push 4 JL Audio 7.7s?

Thanks for your time.

I cant make recommendations but skar has a healthy 4 channel

I recently went with a 5 channel and didnt think 50 w  rms would be enough for my truck but it does more than I need

$200 hifonics brutus 5016.5   all in one  made reinstalling easy   a little large but it replaced 3 physical amps

maybe search some 5 channel amps?

my wifes audio pipe claims 60x4 and 350w and that Rockville 10 hits plenty

I have seen several with higher watt 4ch fronts but my mini truck its potent as is

Should go with all marine equipment. Just Saying 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Yeah definitely marine. Water is water, and when fresh water splashes on things and picks up contamination and EC goes up and can have a similar effect to salt water corision. As well as water, water is wet. Wet on electric, bad. Marine water resistant 

I think the VAD is their marine line. I just ordered the VAD 1700.1 for my two 12" JL w3v3 4 ohm subwoofers. I have them wired in parallel to 2 ohms. I just built a box for the subs this weekend so I'm excited to see how they sound with the new amp. The box design came from a JL tech and is a basic ported box tuned to 30Hz.  I think the old Crunch Amp I was running may have been under powered.

water is water, last I check electronics don't care if it's salt water or fresh water.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Archived