Second Skin Audio

Am I The Only One That Likes Sealed Boxes?

I usually always used sealed enclosures.

I will go ported when its necesary or if I want alot of SPL.

Theres just something about 20 hertz I like so much.

Now there are vehicles I am dealing with for myself were the vehicle doesn't display that low of a tunning frequency so I'am thinking about going ported.

If the frequency rolloff is to high in the vehicle and I can't notice the low,low frequencies of a sealed box there is no point in it.

I will go ported and use the subsonic filter.

If I can't hear it or feel it why try and produce it.

I personally love sealed enclosures.

Edited by ISO

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

i love sealed boxes. i have heard very few ported boxes that i liked. i listen to alot of rab and r&b. but at night time is is pure old school boot knocking music. i need the versatility of a sealed box. my wife listen to music that most of your grandparents grew up on and her 2 12's wont reproduce the lows correctly in anything other than a sealed box.

----reference's----

meade916

I usually always used sealed enclosures.

I will go ported when its necesary or if I want alot of SPL.

Theres just something about 20 hertz I like so much.

Now there are vehicles I am dealing with for myself were the vehicle doesn't display that low of a tunning frequency so I'am thinking about going ported.

If the frequency rolloff is to high in the vehicle and I can't notice the low,low frequencies of a sealed box there is no point in it.

I will go ported and use the subsonic filter.

If I can't hear it or feel it why try and produce it.

I mostly see people use sealed boxes if they have little room and dont care about looking to get loud. In my friends Explore he had a small sealed box that he had metered a 139 on the ac with 2 15" CVR's. I had built him a good ported box, 4 cubes each sub and he did a 147.3 after that. Was a huge difference.

i listen to alot of rock and stuff like pink floyd, and to me a ported box would sound like shit on that kinda stuff.

but then again ive never tried it either.

a friend listens to a lot of that, plus peppers and a lot of ska/rock stuff and loves the box i built for him, 1.5cuft 25^2 of port for a single 10. plays 1,000x better and cleaner than our mutual friend who i did a single 15 sealed 2cuft.

personal opinions, but i just like the ported sound

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

I mostly see people use sealed boxes if they have little room and dont care about looking to get loud. In my friends Explore he had a small sealed box that he had metered a 139 on the ac with 2 15" CVR's. I had built him a good ported box, 4 cubes each sub and he did a 147.3 after that. Was a huge difference.

I had the same situation before 136s with 2 10s sealed went ported and averaged 142 and could do 144 when I needed too.

Those numbers are off the old Termpro meter. 2002.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

Me persoanally I make a really good ported box tuned really low to prevent them from bottoming out from playing below tuneing on music, like bass I love you, Beats 4 my van, jeezy some music and I still get those 40-50hz songs that just vibrate the crap out the car and create a lot of spl on music. Then I had a high tuned ported box to 45hz, It was the biggest mistake ever made lol. Subs bottomed out below tuneing. But my ported box tuned to 28hz moves a stupid amount of air on the super low stuff it flexes everything and moves a crap load of air, but gets super loud on music on the higher frequencies and can play all around like sealed can do.

Nothing wrong with a propperly designed ported box they can be great.

I still love sealed for me.

Terryswork001.png

Me persoanally I make a really good ported box tuned really low to prevent them from bottoming out from playing below tuneing on music, like bass I love you, Beats 4 my van, jeezy some music and I still get those 40-50hz songs that just vibrate the crap out the car and create a lot of spl on music. Then I had a high tuned ported box to 45hz, It was the biggest mistake ever made lol. Subs bottomed out below tuneing. But my ported box tuned to 28hz moves a stupid amount of air on the super low stuff it flexes everything and moves a crap load of air, but gets super loud on music on the higher frequencies and can play all around like sealed can do.

tuning a box high and playing a low song makes subs bottom out?!?!?!? wow i never knew that, thats why my four 12's sounded like shit. imma have to build a new box now =)

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

tuning a box high and playing a low song makes subs bottom out?!?!?!? wow i never knew that, thats why my four 12's sounded like shit. imma have to build a new box now =)

Hahahahahhahahahahahahaha.

Yea, I think my home theater subs port is tuned to like 55Hz.... :blink::mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Yea....

Sounds WAY better sealed, should change once I make a 1.5^3ft box tuned to 35Hz.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

soooo.... i dont understand. is what i said right or did i just make myself sound really stupid?

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-