Sonic Electronix

For a daily driver, how loud do you want / need it ???

Okay, so lets just say, hypothetically speaking..... You just hit the lotto, and you can now afford a totally pro setup, extended SUV with a dozen pro 15"s and 100 Kwts of power. And this setup can hit 168 DB's with music ! (Yikes !) 

So I guess this question can be asked two ways.... First off, about how much of that 100Kwts do you think you would use just going for a little joyride ? I mean, I guess if you had somebody with you, and you were doing a demo, most of it, right ? But now say you were by yourself.... or with your girl... or a friend that already knew how rediculous the setup was... ?

OR, in DB's, how much of that 168 DB's do you think you would you use for daily driving ?

Hmm difficult question for me to understand. 

What I do know based on my personal experience in my Minnesota environment, and coming from a basic 2k system

Most people do not like bass like me and you... so  very very little of it for the general person I'm riding with. Maybe as small burp and work my way up more and more just to show it to them when they are interested.

But for the most part I keep it at a very modest level just enough to hear the low fs to the songs.

When I'm by myself? Balls to the fkn walls all the damn time untill I get to stoplights cause I feel like a jackass

My 2c, I'm sure I didnt answer like you want, but it's an answer.

8 hours ago, Fish Chris said:

Okay, so lets just say, hypothetically speaking..... You just hit the lotto, and you can now afford a totally pro setup, extended SUV with a dozen pro 15"s and 100 Kwts of power. And this setup can hit 168 DB's with music ! (Yikes !) 

So I guess this question can be asked two ways.... First off, about how much of that 100Kwts do you think you would use just going for a little joyride ? I mean, I guess if you had somebody with you, and you were doing a demo, most of it, right ? But now say you were by yourself.... or with your girl... or a friend that already knew how rediculous the setup was... ?

OR, in DB's, how much of that 168 DB's do you think you would you use for daily driving ?

So, my current setup... 4 12's in a sealed enclosure, 4 1000 watt amps with the gain turned down a little, lets say down to the equivalent of 800 watts a piece maybe (I know that's not how you're supposed to use the gains, but it's kind of a fucked up install.... long story), 800 watts on the highs.... not enough for me. Everywhere I go, it's turned all the way up. My upgrade is going to be all 8000 watts to 4 new 12's in a 6th order bandpass blow through into the cab of my truck, bump the highs up to 1600 watts, and I can say with a certain amount of confidence, I'm not going to have that turned all the way up, all the time. I'm guessing somewhere within the 125 db. to 135 db. would be the cruising around on music volume for me

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

You should be over the 135 on 4 12s and 4k.

But I would say a real 2k and 2 12s is really far more than the majority want or need. 

Now here on bass head forums, 5k and 2 18s should do the trick

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

So, my current setup... 4 12's in a sealed enclosure, 4 1000 watt amps with the gain turned down a little, lets say down to the equivalent of 800 watts a piece maybe (I know that's not how you're supposed to use the gains, but it's kind of a fucked up install.... long story), 800 watts on the highs.... not enough for me. Everywhere I go, it's turned all the way up. My upgrade is going to be all 8000 watts to 4 new 12's in a 6th order bandpass blow through into the cab of my truck, bump the highs up to 1600 watts, and I can say with a certain amount of confidence, I'm not going to have that turned all the way up, all the time. I'm guessing somewhere within the 125 db. to 135 db. would be the cruising around on music volume for me

The gain doesn’t affect the rms output. It’s simply for matching rca voltage coming from your head unit. It just seems louder when you turn up the gain past where it’s suppose to be because there’s a high frequency pitch along with the bass notes making it seem louder when all that is is distortion. I can’t wait to see that new build you’re doing. Make sure you post pictures when you’re done. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

But once somebody gets use to and accustom to a certain rms then more always seems better. There is probably a cut off point once it gets uncomfortably but who knows, there may not be a cut off point because like I said once somebody gets use to it then more seems better. It’s all about preference. 

1 hour ago, YukonXL04 said:

You should be over the 135 on 4 12s and 4k.

But I would say a real 2k and 2 12s is really far more than the majority want or need. 

Now here on bass head forums, 5k and 2 18s should do the trick

To be honest, I've never had my 12's metered. Total guess. 4 12" JL Audio w6's a little overpowered but controlled by an Audio Control eq in a sealed enclosure that's a little too small. If those hit 135... yeah, not enough for me. But everyone else I know will say it's too much. 

49 minutes ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

The gain doesn’t affect the rms output. It’s simply for matching rca voltage coming from your head unit. It just seems louder when you turn up the gain past where it’s suppose to be because there’s a high frequency pitch along with the bass notes making it seem louder when all that is is distortion. I can’t wait to see that new build you’re doing. Make sure you post pictures when you’re done. 

Yeah, I know that's not how gain works, but the stereo shop that installed it, just half assed tuned it by ear. If I actually say, hooked a dd1 up to it and adjusted it correctly, I'm positive I'd be turning it up. I'm buying a dd1 for the next build and om1 to keep an  eye on them, and hopefully not too much later getting a cc1 as well. I will post build progress pics of it. Don't forget about it though. Might take me a long while buying up all the rest of the equipment lol

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

To be honest, I've never had my 12's metered. Total guess. 4 12" JL Audio w6's a little overpowered but controlled by an Audio Control eq in a sealed enclosure that's a little too small. If those hit 135... yeah, not enough for me. But everyone else I know will say it's too much. 

Yeah, I know that's not how gain works, but the stereo shop that installed it, just half assed tuned it by ear. If I actually say, hooked a dd1 up to it and adjusted it correctly, I'm positive I'd be turning it up. I'm buying a dd1 for the next build and om1 to keep an  eye on them, and hopefully not too much later getting a cc1 as well. I will post build progress pics of it. Don't forget about it though. Might take me a long while buying up all the rest of the equipment lol

Just get a $60 chinese o scope digital multimeter combo. Look on eBay for mustool oscilloscope. I have one and it works great. It’s on point too. Surprised me. 

Or just do what I did and make your own distortion detector for under $5. It works better than an o scope. But for filters you can do it by know how or a multimeter you can buy for under $10. No need to spend all that money to achieve amp tuning. 

Archived