Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I just received TM-1 and need a little help with the wiring. I've included a picture of the wires and of the instruction in the background for reference. The included instructions say that the RED wire is POWER, is that correct? The only red wire is a super small (maybe 16 gauge or smaller) wire that is part of the 3 wire bundle. How is that supposed to go with the included yellow fuse and wire which is a much larger gauge. The WHITE wire is TRIGGER according to the instructions and BLACK is GROUND, is that correct? They are both 2 separate larger wires not part of the 3 wire bundle. Now here's the really confusing part... I'm left with small BLACK and YELLOW wires that are part of the 3 wire bundle. The instructions state that I should be left with a BLACK and GREY as fan - and fan +, respectively, but I don't have a GREY wire at all.  Can you guys/gals give me a hand with this set up? I don't want to screw something up and void the warranty. 
 
Thanks in advance for your help! 
 

 

20200429_231415.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried to reach out to the manufacturer 3 times and I haven't gotten a response. I'm trying everything I can to get an answer before I finally give up and return the product or just pick random wires and screw it up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think the booklet is wrong man. Maybe an old unit? SMD stuff is pretty solid so probably a mix up.
 

Before you install test it on the bench. Those three small wires are grouped for a reason I assume. See if any have tiny writing on them saying switched 12v or ground or constant source etc.

 

I would test tiny wires as your red (power) with black (ground) and yellow as your switched. If that fails keep the same ground on tiny black wire and switch the red and yellow wires around so red is now your trigger or switched 12v and yellow is your constant fused 12v source

 

then your fan wires are the bigger wires black (fan ground) and grey/white (fan positive)

 

 

Best of luck! Let us know how it turns out

  • Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

Think the booklet is wrong man. Maybe an old unit? SMD stuff is pretty solid so probably a mix up.
 

Before you install test it on the bench. Those three small wires are grouped for a reason I assume. See if any have tiny writing on them saying switched 12v or ground or constant source etc.

 

I would test tiny wires as your red (power) with black (ground) and yellow as your switched. If that fails keep the same ground on tiny black wire and switch the red and yellow wires around so red is now your trigger or switched 12v and yellow is your constant fused 12v source

 

then your fan wires are the bigger wires black (fan ground) and grey/white (fan positive)

 

 

Best of luck! Let us know how it turns out

Yeah I don't know if it's an old unit or old instructions. Either way it kinda blows that when you reach out for tech support no one answers you. It's been a month! I copied my original post from the e-mail I sent D'Amore Engineering. I also (just today) sent the same e-mail to WC Car Audio ( link I got from the SMD website) asking them the same question. I don't know how tag people on here or even who to tag for help. This forum was my last resort. 

 

As far as testing it out goes, I'll let you know how it goes whenever I get around to doing it. I do have a question for you tho if you don't mind humoring me. The separate black and white wires, it they are for the fan +&-, why are they so much bigger than the wires going to the battery? Included in the box with the TM-1 was an "inline fuse" (fuse holder with wire sticking out of either side). The wire of the fuse holder is the same size as these separate black and white wires. Is it possible that they are battery +&- and the small 3 wire bundle is remote, fan +, and fan -? 

 

I appreciate your help and advice, I've never even put a system in a car before. So I feel like I've jumped into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TM-1  Instructions i have:

 

B+ Power wire = RED ( Must use inline fuse)

Turn on Trigger = White (ignition/ Acc)

Ground = Black

 

Fan + = Grey

Fan - = Black

 

Watch a Youtube video i am sure there are some out there.

 

Edited by bcbrassard
  • Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Black & Grey are larger gauge to run fans up to 5 amps DC.  Any larger and you would need a relay to run larger. 

 

3 wires in the harness power to TM-1 and the grey and black power the fans.  There is a temperature probe and turn on setting on the back of the face plate. 

Edited by bcbrassard
  • Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

TM-1  Instructions i have:

 

B+ Power wire = RED ( Must use inline fuse)

Turn on Trigger = White (ignition/ Acc)

Ground = Black

 

Fan + = Grey

Fan - = Black

 

Watch a Youtube video i am sure there are some out there.

 

That's just the thing, my wires don't match up with the instructions. I have large black and white wires, not black and grey. I can assume they swapped white for grey. And the wires you list as "red, black, white" are red, black, yellow on my unit. I can also assume that the "white" is now yellow, ok I can handle that lol. The super small red wire that is supposed to have the inline fuse, the supplied inline wire is so much larger! It's the same size as the black and white wires. Is that correct? I'm supposed to connect that tiny ass red wire to the much larger inline fuse wire? 

 

I've searched all over the interwebs for anything showing me exactly how to connect this thing and there's nothing. Sure, there's plenty of videos of the TM-1 in action, but not a thing on installs

Edited by JonBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JonBob said:

That's just the thing, my wires don't match up with the instructions. I have large black and white wires, not black and grey. I can assume they swapped white for grey. And the wires you list as "red, black, white" are red, black, yellow on my unit. I can also assume that the "white" is now yellow, ok I can handle that lol. The super small red wire that is supposed to have the inline fuse, the supplied inline wire is so much larger! It's the same size as the black and white wires. Is that correct? I'm supposed to connect that tiny ass red wire to the much larger inline fuse wire? 

 

I've searched all over the interwebs for anything showing me exactly how to connect this thing and there's nothing. Sure, there's plenty of videos of the TM-1 in action, but not a thing on installs

I think its weird man but I think you are suppose to use that supplied in line fuse (bigger yellow) into the smaller red. Kinda funky if you ask me

  • Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

I think its weird man but I think you are suppose to use that supplied in line fuse (bigger yellow) into the smaller red. Kinda funky if you ask me

Agreed. I can solder wires ok, but, and I might be way off on how life works, it seems that the large wire going into the smaller wire might cause some power issues since there's a lot of unused strands of copper on that big wire that's not translating into the smaller... I don't know tho. Wish I could get an answer from the company. I first messaged them in the beginning of March

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so I did a little more digging and saw that the operating range is 8v-22v. So I figured it might be able to turn on with a 9v battery. It did! The small wires are 24 gauge. The red is power, black is ground, yellow is trigger. Now I just have to figure out how to splice in a 24ga power wire into the 18ga inline fuse wire. That's going to be a job for another day tho. The wires are not nearly long enough to reach the battery, they're only maybe 10 inches long. I might try to use 20ga wires to make the runs and then use them as a middle ground to make the connection with the 18ga inline fuse. Make sense to everyone? And I'll use the regular size (forget the actual size of the wire) that the amp uses for trigger to splice into the trigger wire on the TM-1. 

 

Sound good to everyone out there in Interweb Land? Tell me if this doesn't sound like a good idea please! 

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...