Second Skin Audio

Rockford Fosgate T215D2 spider issue

So, after playing Critical Havocs - Infrasonic Death, wasn’t full tilt; one of my T215D2 decided to do a weird noise. As soon as I heard it I lowered the volume and immediately shut off the amplifier. Measured both voice coils, on both of them I get a reading of 2.0-2.1 ohms which is good. The circle that holds both of the spiders unglued from the basket :(

Is there any way I can glue that thing back without removing the surround and dustcap? Like, using a syringe to inject glue on the basket and then use small clamps to keep that circle in place?

Video with my issue

Yeah, I know what glue to use, but the problem is if I'll have to remove the surround and dustcap (I'm aware that I'll bent the dustcap since it's aluminum and idk the thickness of shims I'll have to use to align the voice coil) to put that glue or I can use a syringe and try injecting glue around the basket like I said in the first post.

Dont see y you couldnt. Really the only choice. Ive had to glue the spider back down on woofers before. Thats how i did it.

You're making this more complicated than it really is...
Get the self mixing tip type epoxy like Loctite 5 minute epoxy.

DO NOT try to break the rest of the spider pack loose on the other side because then the voicecoil will no longer be centered and will rub and you cant recenter it without shimming the coil.

Epoxy it, clamp it, leave sit for a full 24hours for the epoxy to fully cure (even though the set time claims 5 minutes).
Once that is dried take the epoxy and go around the top of the spider pack between the basket and spider spacer ring so glue can seep down between the plastic ring and basket. Do this all the way around if you are worried about the other side breaking loose.
Even if you cant get every little bit, the epoxy will be way stronger than the cheap glue used when it was built. 
36631-01-1000.jpg

Untitled.jpg

It didnt look like it is fully unglued all the way around in the video.. and just part of it...
If that is the case take your chances, because the surround wont keep it centered. 
The only real thing the surround does is aid in linear movement at high xmax to keep the coil square with the voice coil gap. 

You have a 50/50 chance, really depends.
 If its fully separated all the way around I would try to find some way to index it to a piece of excess glue that is left behind so you know its centered for sure and clamp it without applying any glue under and only apply glue around the top gap to let it run down along the side. 
Pushing on it doesn't mean much of anything because you can push on it just a little off and make a perfectly fine woofer rub. Plus you are probably not pushing or pulling on it hard enough to make the sub move like it does when its playing. Remember the cone moves out as well and not just in.

Archived