Second Skin Audio

Need Some Guidance Deciding On Subs

I need some help deciding on which subs to get. Depending on the load I got two amps I know I want. One is the T20001bd (my first choice) or two Alpine PDX 1.1000 (But that's second on my list). My gold is running 2000 RMS for a pair of twelves.

I need some experience to guide me, because I have no way to hear them for my self. So I ask, for your opinions. I have three I picked from some recommendations, and I would like to know which is the best, which one would last longer, hit harder, and be a better investment.

FI Q 12" 1000 watts rms

*** trash 12" 1000 watts rms

Alpine Type X 12" 1000 watts rms

I'm getting a ported box & I listen to everything, but mostly boomy rap (Jeezy, Lil Jon...) But I want to hear all the notes, and have some good SQ, while at the same time have a loud hard hitting system (not SPL).

Thanks.

Edited by m4a3master

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

i believe out of the 3 the type x will have the best sq provided install is done right but also will be #3 in loudness..its not really meant to be loud more sq..i would go with the fi Q if you go with that punch amp since it does about 2900 watts and if you get the bp option on the q they can handle around 1400 watts daily where has the trash is made to handle 900-1000 watts only..so my votes go for the FI Q

On another forum I was asked...

(hayes55987 @ May 17 2008, 09:08 PM)

I'd say take the Type-X out of the equation. While not a bad sub, I much prefer the Q or trash or Havoc or any of those other lines above the Type-X.

Secondly, why pick the Q over the BL?? I'd say either the Q or the BL will fit your needs, you just have to decide if you want a bit more of a louder set-up or a bit more of the nicer sounding. Do you have any subs you've referenced these to? I run a BL now and it gets loud and for the type of bass lines jeezy has and what not, I'd say it sounds "quality" if you can use that word in that sense.

When you say hear all the notes...do you mean your highs? or you just mean not having a peaky, one note wonder box?

Answer these questions and we can help you out a bit more, but from what I've seen I think maybe 2 12" BL's will be perfect for you. They kind of fit right into the category you've been hoping for I think.

I answerd...

Secondly, why pick the Q over the BL?? I've heard the BL or BTLs push air, and not much sound... That's whet I was told. Not that I would know. Now I ask you, what is the difference. I just know that's what ppl recommend.

Do you have any subs you've referenced these to? I have never heard anything other than Kickers, I'm completely new to all of this.

When you say hear all the notes...do you mean your highs? No, I've been spending time setting up my front stage. I want 20 - 100hz to be loud and accurate. Accurate as in my daily drive I don't bang the music much, But when I'm in the mood to bang it, it shakes the car and sounds Loud but still good.

or you just mean not having a peaky, one note wonder box? Yes, I'm getting my box made by Pound That Sound, so I have to decide which sub before he starts making it. I just want to be happy and not regret getting something that don't perform and sound grate.

On another forum I was asked...

I answerd...

Secondly, why pick the Q over the BL?? I've heard the BL or BTLs push air, and not much sound... That's whet I was told. Not that I would know. Now I ask you, what is the difference. I just know that's what ppl recommend.

Do you have any subs you've referenced these to? I have never heard anything other than Kickers, I'm completely new to all of this.

When you say hear all the notes...do you mean your highs? No, I've been spending time setting up my front stage. I want 20 - 100hz to be loud and accurate. Accurate as in my daily drive I don't bang the music much, But when I'm in the mood to bang it, it shakes the car and sounds Loud but still good.

or you just mean not having a peaky, one note wonder box? Yes, I'm getting my box made by Pound That Sound, so I have to decide which sub before he starts making it. I just want to be happy and not regret getting something that don't perform and sound grate.

lol Thats funny.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz