2007 dual alternator help

Hey guys I have an 07 escalade with a dual alt bracket. Factory 165 for running agm up front running the truck. Second alt is an apex alternator 320 running 120ah xs power lto bank. My question is both alts are 2 wire plugs but I know the computer cuts down the factory alt but how do I prevent it from doing it to the second alt so it can stay at 14.8-9

How would you install the second alternator using the 2 pin plug?

I only ask because you could have used an alternator from an older model (4 pin plug) and just taken the exciter wire from the 4 pin and connect it to a 12v switched source. (I know, I'm being professor hindsight). I know the 2 pin has (of I remember correctly) 3 or 4 wires right? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

41 minutes ago, greg4510 said:

The factory alt is a dr44 which has a 2 wire plug. My apex 320 has the exact same 2 wire plug in it. I had the 320 running the whole truck before I got the dual kit for at least 8 months now

I get that part, but how do you run the dual setup when each alternator has a 2 pin plug, when the vehicle only has 1?

4 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I get that part, but how do you run the dual setup when each alternator has a 2 pin plug, when the vehicle only has 1?

That's basically what I'm trying to ask is how do I wire in the second alt considering it has a wire plug. 

20220524_103133.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Looking on the mechman website, who sells dual alternator brackets and whole setups, and watching a couple videos on YouTube, I've yet to find a solution to running 2 alternators with the 2 pin plug. It seems either they run 1 alternator with the 2 pin plug, and the second with a 4 pin plug with exciter wire, or both alternators with the 4 pin setup. 

That's not saying you absolutely cannot, and there's no solution, but at least I have not been able to find one. 

I have 06 Silverado which has the same 2 pin it’s a mechman 250 I had to order a pcm bypass module from brand x  so now I charge at 15.3v. Idk if it would work but could you just get another 2 pin harness plug it into your 320 and just order a pcm bypass for it. Like I said Idk if it would work. Maybe someone else could shine some light on it bc I’m curious of doing a dual alt setup as well.

Simple fix is to swap the voltage regulator to the 4 pin gm, if your not confident in doing so then send it to your alt manufacture. You just got to pop the back plastic cover off and make sure its using this style (layout) of a voltage regulator which most aftermarket Denso alts are (where as factory/oem ad244 and dr44 alts are using a different style voltage regulator and you wont be able to swap to the 4 pin regulator).
The 4 pin plugs are like $25-$45 iirc depending on brand and a 15volt setpoint. 
https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/regulator-electronic-for-denso-0030-0031-126600-0030-126600-0031-230-52108.html

Also when you are using your own plug to turn the alt on and not using the factory wiring you NEED to use a 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor on the L field of the 4 pin plug which turns the alt on other wise you will burn up the voltage regulator.
You can also use 3 amp 400 volt diodes on the S field of the plug and then connect it direct to the charging stud to boost charging voltage, 2 diodes will put you around 15.8 volts hot and 3 will give you about 16.1 volts hot. Granted that is probably way to high for LTO cells, but my CMAX thrives at those voltages.

1 hour ago, audiofanaticz said:

Simple fix is to swap the voltage regulator to the 4 pin gm, if your not confident in doing so then send it to your alt manufacture. You just got to pop the back plastic cover off and make sure its using this style (layout) of a voltage regulator which most aftermarket Denso alts are (where as factory/oem ad244 and dr44 alts are using a different style voltage regulator and you wont be able to swap to the 4 pin regulator).
The 4 pin plugs are like $25-$45 iirc depending on brand and a 15volt setpoint. 
https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/regulator-electronic-for-denso-0030-0031-126600-0030-126600-0031-230-52108.html

Also when you are using your own plug to turn the alt on and not using the factory wiring you NEED to use a 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor on the L field of the 4 pin plug which turns the alt on other wise you will burn up the voltage regulator.
You can also use 3 amp 400 volt diodes on the S field of the plug and then connect it direct to the charging stud to boost charging voltage, 2 diodes will put you around 15.8 volts hot and 3 will give you about 16.1 volts hot. Granted that is probably way to high for LTO cells, but my CMAX thrives at those voltages.

Ok thanks I’m glad you explained it I can definitely change it over to a 4 pin already ordered the parts 

Archived