Very Low Numbers

I'm just now getting around to this and finding proof to show that 4 gauge wire is only needed for car installs.

You really have no idea of the scale of some of these systems do you?

At full whack (SPL burp) my system draws over 1000A. This current has to go the entire length of my car, because SPL rules state that the battery must be in the stock location for my class. My battery terminals are aluminium bars.

What do you think would happen if I tried to pull 1000A through a 5m long run of 4ga?

There's no point talking to an electrician. They deal with high voltage AC. The kind of numbers we are talking about in car audio are insane to them - go check your main circuit breaker on your house, it's probably only 50A or so.

That's just a silly statement. An electrician goes to school and has a degree in electricity(AC AND DC voltage). Why you think an electrician wouldn't know about voltage and how it relates to DC is just comical. By the way, my home is 75 amps.

By the way, you don't see a lot of 1/0 even in residential installations. Go find your ground peg, it's probably only 8ga.

ROFLMFAO @ the 8ga comment.

See links... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...16144524AAY0XG2

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/advice/t-11638.html

I'm just now getting around to this and finding proof to show that 4 gauge wire is only needed for car installs.

That's just a silly statement. An electrician goes to school and has a degree in electricity(AC AND DC voltage). Why you think an electrician wouldn't know about voltage and how it relates to DC is just comical. By the way, my home is 75 amps.

Intresting posts, a complete lack of knowledge on manny posts.

The bigger guage wire the less resistance you will have, this will cause a better current flow. Hence less of a voltage drop.

If you truely want to test your charging system take it to a alt. shop that can drop a 1000 amp load on the vehicle. Have all the accessories off and have them drop a load on your vehicle. When the voltage drops to 13.8 with your rpms high have them give you the amperage. Now if you want to figure out how much wattage your vehicle can do off the alt take the amperage times your voltage and this will give you your wattage capability.

By the way two electronics degrees and a fabricator. (www.blueghost.org)

I work with sparky's(electricans) everyday, none of them have degrees lol, I build multi-story Apartment complexes, none have 1/0 wire in them, the bigest size they run is 2 gauage and thats power from the main box to the invidual apartments, and the only run 2gauge becuase the runs are over 250 feet long, otherwise it would be 4 guage multistrand romex.

I showed them my power wire in my car and they shiat on themselves, none of the guys I work with have ever installed wire that big before.

Do yourself a favor, and educate yourself, your making a fool of yourself on teh interwebs and you dont even know it.

I work with sparky's(electricans) everyday, none of them have degrees lol, I build multi-story Apartment complexes, none have 1/0 wire in them, the bigest size they run is 2 gauage and thats power from the main box to the invidual apartments, and the only run 2gauge becuase the runs are over 250 feet long, otherwise it would be 4 guage multistrand romex.

I showed them my power wire in my car and they shiat on themselves, none of the guys I work with have ever installed wire that big before.

Do yourself a favor, and educate yourself, your making a fool of yourself on teh interwebs and you dont even know it.

I think you need to educate yourself, because you obviously don't have a clue. Btw, when you go to school and learn something about electricity, let me know.

So tell me this, for 12 volts DC How much amperage can you flow through 4G wire and at what distance?

No, I think I got your point. Your saying anything over 4G is a waste of money or "Hype" right?

Why don't you explain the relationship of voltage, amperage, current, and resistance to all of us as it applies to DC

I think you need to educate yourself, because you obviously don't have a clue. Btw, when you go to school and learn something about electricity, let me know.

You still didn't answer my questions. if your so smart, educate the rest of us.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

try to think of power wire as a garden hose and your trying to fill a 5gal bucket.ie:car audio amplifiers

the smaller the hose= less water flow

the larger the hose= more water flow

on an average home (3 bed 2 bath) has a 200-250 amp circuit total.in that service the home only will use 80 percent by code.

Now how many amps does your average 2000 watt car audio amp draw???? or better yet how many amps are 2 saz3000 sundown amp drawing? on the sundown website the amplifiers require a 300 amp fuse on each. now you have more amps flowing in the car than in your home by almost 2x. then add runnig of the car itself (more amps)......?????

everybody is entitled to their own opinion but when you tell people who are trying to learn bad advice that could possibly hurt them or ruin their equipment thats wrong.

030407016-1.jpgduck.jpg

banner2.jpg

The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent..

Well Dipshit..Since I HAVE been to quite a few schools for electronics and electricity...Lets do a little math. Using basic approximate values of resistance per foot for your beloved 4 guage....and lets say this run is for 4 feet...and your alt is capable of delivering 150 amps.....

1000' of #4AWG has roughly .2533 OHMS of resistance or .0002533 OHMS/FOOT

1000' of #0AWG has roughly .096 OHMS of resistance or .000096 OHMS/FOOT

Using V = DIR as our formula for calculating voltage drop.

V=voltage drop

D=total distance the current travels

I=current

R=is our resistance per foot for each size wire

4x150x.0002533= 0.1518v dropped over 4' of #4AWG

4x150x.000096= 0.0576v dropped over 4' of #0AWG

Your 4AWG has just turned into a 22w heater :rolleyes:

Motto of the story....be a little more selective on what bullshit you decide to post up ;)

A half-wit gave you a piece of his mind, and you held on to it.

My Youtube vids...enjoyDC.jpgdcsig-1.jpg2pt8a6w.png

anythings possible with the right build =] we accept visa and mastercard =]

your a Dont know, who thinks he knows and he really dont know SHIT.

If what you know is what I WOULD in learn school, I think I will pass on that, becuase you obviously dont know what the hell your talking about.

I dont need to goto school to know about current flow, been dealing with it for about 18yrs or so due to car audio.

if what rollin posted doesnt help you understand how it works, you might as well give up on car audio, becuase his anology is DEAD ON.

Archived