Second Skin Audio

Btl Started To Smoke Today - Pwn

Well my problem is, what if this doesnt power the subwoofer properly?

Dude, this isn't a crack against you or Crunch but when I see a comment like this my first thought is to get a better amp. If you have to boost the signal like you're doing with the sub and bass adjustments maxed out then there is a problem.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

Well my problem is, what if this doesnt power the subwoofer properly? I mean I had my gain at around 2/5 with the subwoofer volume at max on my HU, the bass boost on the HU to about +5 to get it to do much of anything.

i might have missed it but what headunit are you using?

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

the best way i can explain it is even though crunch puts out 3000 watts its not the same 3000 watts a kicker/punch/alpine/sundown puts out..like with gas both grades will get your car running and get you to where you need to go..but one burns cleaner and is better for your engine..where has crunch is your regular unleaded your sundowns/punch/kickers is your premium blend..which burns cleaner and cost more..

very well put

dcaudio.jpg ALLAH's the most gracious, he made the universe the most spaciousSeen and heard in all places, but still appear facelessEmbraces all races, all caste and all casesIn every spec of life he's the substance of all tracesSMDsigbannr9.jpg

i might have missed it but what headunit are you using?

Jensen POS. its like the VM8012 or something. Bought it like 2 years ago because i thought the dvd feature was cool and i would actually use it. I have never once watched a movie on the fucking thing. I need to replace it with a new HU of course but for a nice one, its so god damn expensive and I figure there are other priorities like a new alt before I get that.

You can get a refurb Kicker ZX2500.1 for around $500 from HiFiSoundConnection.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Jensen POS. its like the VM8012 or something. Bought it like 2 years ago because i thought the dvd feature was cool and i would actually use it. I have never once watched a movie on the fucking thing. I need to replace it with a new HU of course but for a nice one, its so god damn expensive and I figure there are other priorities like a new alt before I get that.

heres a slight solution

ur headunit is like my jvc, and alpine decks...

the subwoofer volume has to be at +12 to get the full 2v

no loud, no bass boost on amp or headunit, and gain should be at 3/4 since thats ~ the 2v position

thats will acount for alot, u might have only been giving the amp .5v, which means the gain would almost need to be all the way up to match the headunit (even tho that is taboo)

hope that helps

Edited by decafcappucino

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Have you verified that it is not a problem with your amp? A problem with the output stage could cause bad things to happen....like your amplified AC music signal riding atop a DC voltage.... :(

That is what I said on another forum. I would make sure there is not another problem.

I personally have never seen a sub go straight instant white smoke without first smelling the coils get warm a few times. He never said if they have been hot enough to smell the glue before. . .

I have repeatedly seen a sub go from perfectly fine to white smoke due to amp failures.

BTW - The Crunch GP3000D-Pro is getting great reviews as a great come back for Crunch and a nice amp. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.