Second Skin Audio

Weight: Birch Vs Mdf

Solid.

HD has the veneered stuff and it sucks. You can really tell the difference when you start cutting on it <_<

i like working with MDF better personally. and i like no splinters. but then again i got my birch from home depot...so maybe that was my fault :P looks sexy as hell tho with some red stain on it!

i like working with MDF better personally. and i like no splinters. but then again i got my birch from home depot...so maybe that was my fault :P looks sexy as hell tho with some red stain on it!

No MDF is way easier to work with then Birch. I'm with you on the splinters. that part sucks and is hard to get use to. I go through blades quicker on the real wood then I did on MDF. I guess it's easier to tell when you router 32 holes at one time :lol:

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Birch is much better imo. Once you use birch you probably won't go back to mdf.

this statement is so true.

i will never go back to MDF for any box i build again (for my cars at least)

i love birch.

i do go with the cheaper stuff though at HD/Lowes. my current wall is built from "Blondewood"

i like it alot. $37 a sheet (4x8) at Lowes.

The Baltic Birch that I used on my wall usually only comes in 5'x5' sheets. You can find it in 4'x8' sheets, but it is pretty hard to come by. It is 18mm(almost 3/4") and has 13 plys. It is usually void free in all layers, and comes in grade B/BB. It is lighter than MDF and is much easier to work with compared to most other hardwoods. It has also gone up in price quite a bit since I last bought it. I just did a friends box in it and he paid 65 bux a sheet for it...compared to 41 bux a sheet when I bought mine from the same place a year ago.

A half-wit gave you a piece of his mind, and you held on to it.

My Youtube vids...enjoyDC.jpgdcsig-1.jpg2pt8a6w.png

anythings possible with the right build =] we accept visa and mastercard =]

Bill, Hughs FTMFW... I used to go there when I would need Ultra light MDF, or 1.5"-3" thick MDF

and they have all the exotics- I Have no probs paying Hughs premium prices, for the premium quality!!!!

I just used a sheet and a half of Birch in a tapered transmission line for my XXX18 I just built

Resonance/vibration free, and this box being 49" wide, 24" deep, and with a 9.4ft long tunnel inside, I was easily able to carry it to the back of my truck

In comparison to my last years box, which was 2" thick of MDF all the way around

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Also factor in the costs though.

100lbs = 1% Drop in Fuel consumption.

How big is the box going to be?

How much less weight is birch?

How many miles would you have to drive to factor out the cost ratio of MDF to Birch?

By those figures all I have to do is a really good diet to get better gas mileage LMFAO

...oh yea and birch ftmfw!

Edited by littleitaly1990

A vitrolic, megalomaniacal sadistic psychopath.

Bill, Hughs FTMFW... I used to go there when I would need Ultra light MDF, or 1.5"-3" thick MDF

and they have all the exotics- I Have no probs paying Hughs premium prices, for the premium quality!!!!

I just used a sheet and a half of Birch in a tapered transmission line for my XXX18 I just built

Resonance/vibration free, and this box being 49" wide, 24" deep, and with a 9.4ft long tunnel inside, I was easily able to carry it to the back of my truck

In comparison to my last years box, which was 2" thick of MDF all the way around

I hate hugh's. I never have enough money for what I want to get. If it was up to me, I would have a mini version of their warehouse in my shop.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

i bought paint grade birch from mccoys yesterday at 26.99 a sheet, compared to 25.99 for mdf....

birch is superior on every level to mdf except the ease of working with it...birch is stiffer, lighter, a tad more weather resistant and if im not mistaken has better acoustic properties...if you dont mind the splintering and the extra work..........

BIRCH FTW!

Edited by 99_Xploder

lol i guess im the only one that gets the hook up, i get baltic birch 3/4 13ply 4x8 sheet for $10 a sheet, my dad works at a lumber company and i get my shit on the low, but they sell it for $30 here and it dont splinter one bit, just put u a chip breaker under the burch and it wont splinter, we just got done buildin some cabnets for some ppl and if that bitch was made from mdf ied half to use the floorclift to pick it up but that birch is light as hell, my box is made from 13ply 3/4 and my amp rack is made from 11ply 1/4'', birch is the shit and not only if u want to carpet u can also stain it, or get some birch veneere and put down the ends and the box will look like it doesnt stop, i work at a furniture factory and useto repare furniture so i kno lil tricks of the trade on how to get it to look purdy, but anyways birch is alot stronger and less waight han mdf hands down, it might cost more but u get what u pay for, birch ftmfw :D , ps i wonder how much lighter the kaddy would be if made from birch?

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif