Sundown Audio

2k6d Vs. Saz3000d

Team Bassick - Kimo

So hoe are you going to do this? The Devil is in the Details!!!

Car on.... Car off... How many Batteries? are those batteries strong enough to bump it for 5 min and then switch amps and get the same output (Voltage)?

Heres what I've spent some shitter time on so far.

Car on, stock Alt 14.4 charge.

A bank of batteries. as many as i can get my hands on for these test.

Both amps on the same bank running at the same time. both will see the exact same voltage drop at the same time.

Both amps will have the same rca voltage in run off the maxxlink.

Both amp gains properly set with dmm.

Both amps having 8 subs to hook to. Seperate chambers exaclty the same for each side. We can have plenty of options to change ohm loads while dispersing the power to multiple subs thus giving us more time to pound without worries of thermal breakdown

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I really see the test as this.

I feel we as the enthusiasts, experts, reps, dealers competitors have somewhat of a responsibility to help educate the younger people. Back before the internet, you had to go to a retail shop and buy your gear. At some point in that transaction, there was the voice of reason. The voice that said hey you need to this to get that, or you need this for that to work. In todays world, there is none of that. anybody can go out and buy say a RFT4000 install it using 8G wire and say they have 4000w amp. The problem with that is, others see that and think that they have done it so they must know. So they believe that whatever Mr. RF with 8G wire to be the truth.

We as the people in the know have forgotten what it was like to be a noob. All to many time we tell the new guys to "go on the web and read up about" well thats fine, but lets look at all the bullshit on the net these days, If you don't already know someone is blowing smoke then you can get sucked into lies, myths, Bullshit, or don't knows. We have all heard the phrase " I got a buddy"

All too many times people will do the quick clif notes and become the experts. They will take that one little nugget of info and regurgitate it to their friends to be the knowable person in there circle. Well that circle is a whole lot bigger with the internet. Pretty soon someone has a bunch of nuggets of "info" and they try to pass of as experts, the more they think they know, the more they get accepted as someone in the know.

All too often you have someone who knows their shit do test. Which is good, however there a huge part left out. Sure they do their testing but there not telling you all the time they put into a box, they forget to mention the 10 runs of 0G wire from that 1 super expensive battery and that 500 alt. Most if not all I have seen have been burp tests, thats fine if you burp.

So lets this back to the street. Lets take that real world and put it into the test. Lets show what you are to expect to see out of an amp when your 17 and had to mow lawns all summer to buy one of these amps. Lets show a perfect test in an imperfect install. Lets assume that Joe kid has read just enough to spend money and get himself in trouble.

I'm sure if I worked with both amps, subs, ohms, box, and battery that I could get one louder then the other. And truly show these amps a race cars that people have made them into. Thats not what this is about.

This is about dropping an amp into the back of a car with a few drywall screws and a prefab box. That is the people that we need to educate. That is who this test is for.

I have faith that both stetsom and sundown will perform well. Question is, who's better in the street? Who deserves the lawn mowing money?

Well put :) , I know what it's like right now to have my crappy dishwashing job and trying to get the money for this stuff its not easy at minimum wage. :(

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Same power bank same time??? If one amp is drawing more current than the other wouldn't that rob the other amp for power?

I'm thinking split the power in half and each amp runs off the same power source threw the whole test

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Im really watching this post. :ph34r:

Id like to see what can be done with the amps.

I will admit I was wanting some stetsoms for a while. They put up numbers and they put out power. But I dont see anything else good about them, their lack in parts on the pcb scares me for daily use. As I said before, when I take that cover off, I WANT TO SEE GUTS! A crap load of power and output fets, huge capacitors etc.

I spent well close to 4 grand on 2 3000 watt amps. I was somewhat stupid when I bought them because I went buy seeing records and how popular they where in another country and they just looked like a deadly combination with my subs. At the time I didnt know my amps where pratically BURP only amps which kinda makes me hate myself now, but when I do play music and run them at a .3 ohm load they do get nasty and put out a shit load of power which I like and still sounds good doing so.

So now that I know my amp is not a musical amp as Im told, but yet Im told another company that uses lower grade fets and runs the same board is a musical amp (AB) How this is so is beyond me.

By looking at the stetsoms and their no guts in that heatsink leads me to believe this is not a musical amp and wont take the heat too long. I kind of feel this way about the Sundown 3k too, There is so much more guts then the stetsoms but yet compaired to my amp they dont look too beefy. Ive heard both amps in the lanes, and the sundowns 1500s are sounding great on music and seem to be taking the pain without even getting warm when dan cranks up his trailblazer and starts flexing like a mofo :)

If I had the extra cash right now, Id like to pick up both amps to do some playing with, but then again if I had the cash laying around, Id just get 2 sundown 3ks and call it a day :)

So lets get these results in cuz I need some new amps!

Here's my thoughts on sharing the same power. there is no advantage if they drink from the same well.

We can compute power draw on both amps. We know one might be more thirsty then the other.

What I would like to see is line by line as they drain the power supply where each amp is at the same volt level.

Besides, unless I run a 2 dedicated alt system to charge both at the same time, we will be shortened on how long we run our tests. And I don't want to get into the whole well your test had fresh batteries debate.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Hey bill we Doing this @ your pad...?

Nope, I would like to keep my pad as G-14 as I can ;)

Archived