how bad is clutchless driving for your tranny? my friend taught me how to do it the other day and thats how ive been driving my car lately he said it supposedly saves the clutch but i have no idea how this is working. my idea of how a manual transmission works just went right out the window. im confused on why this works haha. maybe someone can explain this to me?

edit: i have a video uploading if some people want to see it/dont know what im talking about

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa302/T...=clutchless.flv

Edited by Amalan

how bad is clutchless driving for your tranny? my friend taught me how to do it the other day and thats how ive been driving my car lately he said it supposedly saves the clutch but i have no idea how this is working. my idea of how a manual transmission works just went right out the window. im confused on why this works haha. maybe someone can explain this to me?

if your going the wrong speeds and grind into gear thats bad!!!!!!

at the right speeds everthing seems to line up and it slips right into gear been doning this for years never had a problem dont do it everyday all day but ya!!

im not sure why it works ether just does lol

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

if your going the wrong speeds and grind into gear thats bad!!!!!!

at the right speeds everthing seems to line up and it slips right into gear been doning this for years never had a problem dont do it everyday all day but ya!!

im not sure why it works ether just does lol

well my friend told me it apparently helps maintain the clutch longer and you just need to rev match to get it into gears sometimes which isnt that bad once you get used to it. you def need to rev match when you downshift otherwise it wont do it.

It's not bad as long as the tranny syncs up with the axle speed. If you are trying to shove it in and out and it pops, then it's bad for the tranny.

When I use to drive truck, the only time I used the clutch was when I came to a stop ;)

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

It's not hard on them at all and your friend is right it saves the clutch. Like Bill said in a Big Rig or Grain Truck you only use the clutch when you stop. If they used it every gear you'd replace the clutch all the time. How it works is your not pushing the clutch pedal so the throwout bearing isn't disengaging the clutch so you've always got sort of "direct drive" so the clutch can't wear if it isn't being used. Then the syncronizers and everything inside the tranny are designed to work that way.

HU: JVC KD-AVX1Speakers: Stock BlazerSub: 2 Mass Destruction Car Audio Sidewinder 12"Amp: Orion HCCA-D1200 @ 1ohm (600 RMS)Box: 3.0 cubes tuned to 35

ok well ive been doing it more and more and been getting the hang of it, i still completely understand how it works but i have an idea now.

this does not work on every car or truck. my f-150 wont let me do this and i am pissed.

----reference's----

meade916

edit: i have a video uploading if some people want to see it/dont know what im talking about

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa302/T...=clutchless.flv

Ohh god is that a dreaded circuit city shirt you have on? :)

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

I kind of discovered this in my truck.

I noticed when cruising at 25 I could drop the truck into 4th gear without the clutch.

You also have to factor in how much gas is wasted when revving it to the correct R.P.M. to get it to engage.

And how much a new clutch and installation cost.

Then how many miles you'd have to drive to outweigh it.

Probably going unnecessarily deep into a train of thought, but thats me.

I never go above 2300 R.P.M when I drive.

I squeezed 18 M.P.G. City out of a truck that only gets 15.