Sundown Audio

Amp(s) for the BTLs...Help me pick

Ernesto

what about a massive p3000 ? does 3000w at 2 ohm... not really 1 ohm stable though.. :ranting2:

Nah need some thing that is 1ohm stable.
Why dont u just do T2k s and be done....if price is what ur worried about then get some refurbed Rockfords. U'll still get like 2800 rms outta the T2k or do the Adassa Warlords
00114-1.jpgTEAM MechMan Alternators

Yeah, I have since learned about that one. Basshead and I talked last night for awhile about things and he cleared it up for me. I just didn't think about sealed vs. ported boxes and how much power you could thorw at a sub in each and why/why not.

It won't change what it's rated at, but it will change how much it can take. I thought it was the other way around....too much power in a small sealed box would prevent the sub from breathing properly and could blow it, while the ported box allows you to add more power and have less chance of blowing it since it can breathe better with the port.  Or am I once again bass ackwards???

It won't change what it's rated at, but it will change how much it can take. I thought it was the other way around....too much power in a small sealed box would prevent the sub from breathing properly and could blow it, while the ported box allows you to add more power and have less chance of blowing it since it can breathe better with the port.   Or am I once again bass ackwards???

youare ass backwards, ported boxes have a tendency of letting the sub be more effiecient. so thatsame wattage pushed at the sub as in a sealed make the sub travel move and makes it easier to bottom out

well i've been doin installs for a loooong time and i say diff if the sealed box is medium to large in size i think the woofer will blow just as easy if not easier - The sealed enclosure  (aka: air-suspension, acoustic-suspension) is a classic box design. Patented in 1949 by Harry Olson and popularized in the 1950's by Acoustic Research, this design has stood the test of time and has been adopted by many home and car audio companies.

In a sealed enclosure, the woofer is tightly controlled by a trapped volume of air in the enclosure which acts as a spring (hence the name "air-suspension.") The woofer must literally pull the air with it as it moves outward thus decreasing the air pressure inside the box and compress the air inside the box when it moves inward, which increases the air pressure inside the box. Since the air pressure inside the box seeks to equal the barometric pressure of the atmosphere, it acts as a controlling force over the motion of the speaker. The more the speaker moves inward or outward, the greater the pressure exerted by the air-spring of the sealed enclosure in the opposite direction. 

The relationship between the parameters of the speaker being used and the volume of air inside the enclosure dictates the performance of the sealed subwoofer system. By making the box larger, the air spring limits cone motion less and allows the system to play lower and with flatter overall response (lower Qtc) at the expense of power handling. If you go too large, however, you begin to lose efficiency in order to gain the additional low frequency extension. By making the box smaller, the air spring exerts more control and limits cone motion at low frequencies which increases power handling but does not let the system play as low and produces a more peaked response (higher Qtc.) For any speaker competently designed for sealed box applications there is a range of enclosure volumes that will produce good high-fidelity sound. Changing the enclosure volume within that range can fine-tune the response to suit the tastes of the listener and/or the acoustic properties of the vehicle. 

Archived