Router Kicked Me In The Balls Today

Well today was only day off for the last few weeks :censored: ...And I drive across town to go work on my box knowing that I have my borrowed router and jasper jigs waiting for me. All I need is some bits... So I go pick up some Porter Cable 1/4" shank spiral upcut and 1/2" roundover bits...At this time I buy a new sheet of 3/4" Birch to make my double baffle ( $35 might I add). Now I go home and cut 2) 60 3/4" x 17" and glue them together~~~While waiting for the glue to dry I walk inside to baby talk to my mojos telling them they are going to have a new home tonight and such. Then I break out my jasper jig equipped RYOBI router with the spiral upcut bit to start cutting circles...I set the depth to 5/8" to for the lip where my subs sit and start cutting. First I cut the outer diameter then the inner diameter. Then attempt to go and clear up all the rest in the middle. I start cutting it and the router starts bogging down for some reason like it doesn't want to go around. Turns out the collet decides to loosen and let the bit fall down about 3/8" unbenounced to me...So now I have a huge 3/8" groove running around the mount where the screws are supposed to go :censored: :censored: After a few choice words, my father convinces me to go ahead and not scrap my $35 investment because we can use wood putty later to fill it in. So then I go to finish cutting the first hole...I do and what do ya know, I only have 1/2" of baffle to mount on of the suds to. More choice words follow :censored: Then my father said we can use some "hook screws" where you put a bolt through the sub mounting holes and it grabs some of the wood since I could daylight through my complete mounting hole.

Now I finally move on to the second speaker hole. I do the same thing but cut a smaller inner diameter hole...But then I cut even a bigger groove as before because the bit pretty much fell out of the collet. I guess I'll need more wood putty than expected. :censored: So I finish that hole up nice and everything looks good. Then I try to cut the notches in the top baffle board and the plys of the birch plywood start separating as i am cutting it with the router.... :censored: :censored: :censored: This is when I just quit because I am so pissed and then I packed up all my tools and just went home.

next day off I will try to do it again but with MDF THIS TIME!

images-4.jpgdjscrewbanner5sf.jpgimages.jpg

"IT SOUNDS SLOW MOTION AND STUTTERING"~~~~LOL

2 15" Fi BTLs

7.5 cf box @ 33hz

Sundown SAZ-3500D

Powermaster S3400 & D3100

Iraggi 300a alt

SecondSkin - totally dead

Knu wire

is birch stonger then mdf, i just bought two pieces of mdf tonight to finish my wall and saw birch there. it was like $35 for 3/4" and it looked like plywood (has the layers in it) so i figured it sucked. whats up with the bit falling out lol, can u tighten that or something. im using a dremal for mine and its a pain in the ass, its really slow and ive gone through $15 just in bits. ($5 a bit/broke 3 of them/ me really pissed cuz i have to keep taking the dremal apart)

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

is birch stonger then mdf, i just bought two pieces of mdf tonight to finish my wall and saw birch there. it was like $35 for 3/4" and it looked like plywood (has the layers in it) so i figured it sucked. whats up with the bit falling out lol, can u tighten that or something. im using a dremal for mine and its a pain in the ass, its really slow and ive gone through $15 just in bits. ($5 a bit/broke 3 of them/ me really pissed cuz i have to keep taking the dremal apart)

just a cheap ass ryobi. Birch it stronger and lighter but DAMMIT It is plywood

2 15" Fi BTLs

7.5 cf box @ 33hz

Sundown SAZ-3500D

Iraggi 300a alt

Knu wire

but when stained, that shit looks SOOOOOOOO nice!

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

where the hell are you getting birch for 35 a sheet?

last time i checked the price on it it was 52 a sheet, wtf!

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

but when stained, that shit looks SOOOOOOOO nice!

wrapped in carpet my friend, wrapped in carpet

where the hell are you getting birch for 35 a sheet?

last time i checked the price on it it was 52 a sheet, wtf!

HD

2 15" Fi BTLs

7.5 cf box @ 33hz

Sundown SAZ-3500D

Iraggi 300a alt

Knu wire

how do you brake 3 bits in mdf? a dremel will cut it perfectly no problem. use the drywall spiral bits.

and to the op, this thread is a disappointment. i thought ur router hit u in the nuts.

duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

birch is stronger and lighter, but imo more of a pain to work with. i'll just deal with the dust from MDF for the ease of working with it. always has been easier and had a better result in my experience. tho i did stain the bottom piece in my old build which you could see through the port. it was HOT. i'm going to do some trim pieces or somethin with thinner birch and stain it so i can use MDF for everything else