Don't forget about excursion either. I've long since believed cone area was everything but a bit more research into the mathematics behind it all is showing that excursion actually plays a larger role than cone area.

That is to say, setup 1) has 1 sq foot of cone area and 1" excursion

setup 2) has 0.5 sq foot of cone area but 2" of excursion

Both have the same Vd figures and can "pump" the same amount of air, yet setup 2 will be 3-6dB louder on the same amount of power.

I never knew this...

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck

Don't forget about excursion either. I've long since believed cone area was everything but a bit more research into the mathematics behind it all is showing that excursion actually plays a larger role than cone area.

Both have the same Vd figures and can "pump" the same amount of air, yet setup 2 will be 3-6dB louder on the same amount of power.

I never knew this...

how is setup 2 3-6db louder?

Tibs 99 F-150 Build 8 twelves

8 - Re SE 12"s

2 - SunDown Audio Saz-3000d's

1 - vx4004 planet audio amp

big 3 1/0 gauge

MECHMAN 250 amp alt

MySpace

Excursion can't be used to calculate db's or SPL.

RE XXX has xmax of over 50mm and MT is more like 26. MT is louder, all day on any amount of power over 1500 watts.

Official Scores at the Dash. and YES. My Bass Boxing is louder than Burp! - 155.5 DB Drag Burp- 155.6 - IASCA Bass Boxing on music (30 seconds straight) sealed up Builds 1. The Acura Integra build = http://www.stevemead...s/page__st__6802. BLK SIN Build = http://www.stevemead...w-pics-10-6-07/

Actually excursion plus cone speed can DIRECTLY be used to calculate dB SPL emitting from the front of the driver with a formula I can't find right now.

There are other reasons why an MT will stomp all over a XXX. (mainly efficiency over a smaller effective bandwidth)

But realize in most situations our enclosures don't allow, or require the sub move nearly to full excursion to produce an acceptable output. So realistically excursion isn't as important but under the right conditions, a sub with half the cone area but twice the excursion will be 6dB louder. Excursion is a squared component in the formula while surface area is linear. I really need to find the math to prove all this... :)

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck

woah man you must be a math genius or something to be able to calculate the db difference like that...6db you must mean in free air right? so that would be sensitivity correct? Cone speed seems more related to output than excursion, if you mean free air then i could see that as being possible, you also have to figure at waht frequency? the fs of the drivers would be completely opposite of eachother, so a drop in comparison would be useless because youd be putting 32" rims on a corvette :huh: you know putting a sq woofer in an spl box vice a versa?

noobtastic and i go round and round on this all the time, i support the high xmax way of thinking he is the opposite, and what i have observed is you would need a woofer with MASSSIVE power handling capabilities to utilize the full excursion benefits, or if your playing below tuning! my aura hybrids would drop below their 40hz enclosure tuning and they still had alot of output, but they were unloading like a mofo!!! underhung for the win on that one...

I would love to play with an RE XXX 18 well two actually as my enclosure would probably par well with them, on paper that driver would be very good for lower frequency spl...unfortunately have you seen the tinsel leads??? lol

anywho show me the math and ill believe it, i just would like more reasoning behind your idea here

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I never knew this...

If that is the case then why is the digital designs z1 one of the loudest subs on the market?

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

• 8 months later...
If that is the case then why is the digital designs z1 one of the loudest subs on the market?

Because thats what the average person builds a box and system for.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived