Sonic Electronix

I just built a box, and i wanted to get everyones opinion on the painting of mdf. whats the best way to go about painting it? Is there a primer that i should use before painting it, and is there a certain type of paint that i should use? Thanks for all the suggestions.

2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition:

Alpine CDA 9883

2x 18" DC lvl 4 D2

10.7 cu ft box 33hz

knu 1/0 wire

amp: Kicker ZX2500.1

Kinetik

tatoosmall2.jpg

banner2.jpg

I just built a box, and i wanted to get everyones opinion on the painting of mdf. whats the best way to go about painting it? Is there a primer that i should use before painting it, and is there a certain type of paint that i should use? Thanks for all the suggestions.

well i just built a box too....and im just using primer and some black paint and calling it a day....

Vehicle-2014 Ford Fusion on 20" cruiser alloy obsessions
Subs-4 8" sundown audio E8v3

Sub Amp-Hifonics Brutus Elite 1200.1
box-2.8cubes after all dis tuned to 32hz 4" aero
Mids and highs-2 sets of Memphis PR 6.5 components

Mids amp-Hifonics Brutus Elite 800.4
Deck-Factory Integration
Wiring-Memphis
40sqft of damplifier Pro

http://www.youtube.c...14?feature=mhee

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

^^yep, you want to fill in all of the screw holes and seams with like a body or wood filler, sand the beotch smooth...then like david said, 4 or so coats of primer, b/c that mdf will soak up that stuff quick. sand it again. then we put a couple of coats of paint on, sanded, couple of coats of paint, wet sanded, then the final coat of paint....box came out VERY shinny, you could see your reflection in it no problem...we used probably 4-5 coats of primer and the same with the paint...take your time..

i likes me some audio stuff...

with flexstone, my favorite choice when painting:

i rough up/scuff mdf with coarse sandpaper.... throw 3 coats primer... sand.... last coat primer...

then flexstone without sanding between primer and paint and the flex looks purty.... seems to really soak in this way and lay even

i cant stand sanding mdf tho .... brich is soo much easier

Edited by decafcappucino

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Def recommend putting body filler on, saves you in primer price as not near as many coats and ultimately a better finish i feel

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

Does it weaking the box by the MDF soaking up the paint? If any of you have left a piece of MDF outside, you know that a 3/4 inch piece will quickly become a 3 inch MDF sponge.

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

take your time with prep, your base primer will make or break your paint job

be careful wetsanding it also, you will have swelling issues and never get it back straight. I usually just barely wet the primered area and stay away from bare wood. The primer will protect the MDF from the water if you do it right.

Edited by sully

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

i doubt it because the amount of water involved is very small which is what breaks down the glues in mdf

paint uses tyulen (?), acetone and things like that that evaporate quickly so i dont think its an issue

if you were to use a paint other than spray that might make a difference since spray is meant to dry fast

i meant moreso that the paint sticks better to the wood when sanded coarsly first, if my comment was what u were referring to bangin

TeamSundown-sig.jpg