Save the hassle and just go buy you a good bolt action 30.06. That 30 cal round probably has the biggest variety of bullets available on the market. You don't want to get too small of a round and make the pig suffer, but you also don't want to get a round so big that you'll blow the backside of the pig out. Typically the reason for hunting is to go after the meat. So why try and destroy what you are going after??

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

I went and looked at some rifles today at my buddy's store he works at. And I"m thinking about a marlin 336(.30-30). They said it would be plenty enough with some federal fusion I believe was the ammo.

There is a pretty big gun show coming up in about a month, so hopefully I can snag one on the cheap before winter :)

Edited by Shyne151

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

I went and looked at some rifles today at my buddy's store he works at. And I"m thinking about a marlin 336(.30-30). They said it would be plenty enough with some federal fusion I believe was the ammo.

There is a pretty big gun show coming up in about a month, so hopefully I can snag one on the cheap before winter :)

.30 .30 will do just fine as Zaxfire said make sure you do get a good shot ive personally been almost killed by a deer before so make sure you get a good shot. Also with what Str8t said be kinda careful where you shoot since you dont want to rip apart some good roasts and such

.30 .30 will do just fine as Zaxfire said make sure you do get a good shot ive personally been almost killed by a deer before so make sure you get a good shot. Also with what Str8t said be kinda careful where you shoot since you dont want to rip apart some good roasts and such

Dude I know has a 30.06 for sale also that i'm going to check out, only thing holding me back on it is its a wood stock... and i'm rough as hell on shit, i'd rather have synthetic.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

Dude I know has a 30.06 for sale also that i'm going to check out, only thing holding me back on it is its a wood stock... and i'm rough as hell on shit, i'd rather have synthetic.

Wood stocks arent to bad I also like synthetics more but if the price is right then I would go for it also you can get different stocks for it what brand model etc is it

I own a 336 , it is a great gun for hunting in very thick wooded areas. I wouldn't go trying to take any shots way out across a field with it though. A .30-.30 will stop a hog in its tracks if done right. The problem is what a lot of people call "the armor plate" which is a very thick cartilage type shield over the front area of its body. It is kinda hard to describe where it is exactly, as I havent shot a hog in over ten years. I do remember though, I shot a hog once, and I hit that layer of armor, and while the bullet went through, it wasnt by by much. we found the bullet just inside the muscle behind the armor plate. The second shot , at about ten feet away did her in. I was walking out the woods in some very tall brush and walked past a sal and her piglets , and as you may or may not know, a mamma hog is VERY protective of her young. She came running at me , or well, the sound and smell of me, all I could see was the tall grass moving and her squeeling and snorting in anger . I jumped up on a fallen pine tree and could see her coming at me. the first shot did nothing , but piss her off, although I did kinda shoot blindly, and just at a blob of color through the field grass..... Now, it may sound unsafe but I was just 30 feet up in tree and could see my hunting partner in his tree,along with everything all around the area for over a half mile. and i knew where he was, and at this point I was verbally communicating with him and making him aware I was dealing with a very pissed off hog. I would have much rather had my .270, but at the time I didnt own one. that day alone was enough of an experience to get me to go gun shopping for a little more punch , and a little more speed. hello winchester.

the marlin is one hell of a great gun though. you can damn near toss that thing in the mud and pick it up and fire it. the barrel is nice and short so it makes it easy to carry with a stand on your back, or dragging a deer out the woods. I started out with that gun, and I will never get rid of it.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

I own a 336 , it is a great gun for hunting in very thick wooded areas. I wouldn't go trying to take any shots way out across a field with it though. A .30-.30 will stop a hog in its tracks if done right. The problem is what a lot of people call "the armor plate" which is a very thick cartilage type shield over the front area of its body. It is kinda hard to describe where it is exactly, as I havent shot a hog in over ten years. I do remember though, I shot a hog once, and I hit that layer of armor, and while the bullet went through, it wasnt by by much. we found the bullet just inside the muscle behind the armor plate. The second shot , at about ten feet away did her in. I was walking out the woods in some very tall brush and walked past a sal and her piglets , and as you may or may not know, a mamma hog is VERY protective of her young. She came running at me , or well, the sound and smell of me, all I could see was the tall grass moving and her squeeling and snorting in anger . I jumped up on a fallen pine tree and could see her coming at me. the first shot did nothing , but piss her off, although I did kinda shoot blindly, and just at a blob of color through the field grass..... Now, it may sound unsafe but I was just 30 feet up in tree and could see my hunting partner in his tree,along with everything all around the area for over a half mile. and i knew where he was, and at this point I was verbally communicating with him and making him aware I was dealing with a very pissed off hog. I would have much rather had my .270, but at the time I didnt own one. that day alone was enough of an experience to get me to go gun shopping for a little more punch , and a little more speed. hello winchester.

the marlin is one hell of a great gun though. you can damn near toss that thing in the mud and pick it up and fire it. the barrel is nice and short so it makes it easy to carry with a stand on your back, or dragging a deer out the woods. I started out with that gun, and I will never get rid of it.

Ive got a similar story but with deer hunting

I've never really been hog hunting or deer hunting for that matter(i went out once when i was little but that was it). So I'm thinking the 30-30 would be good for deer hunting to. My buddy told me it's basically a 100yard(or 150yard maybe) gun. He said it would be good if i didn't want to go with the bolt actions he was showing me. Figure it would be a good first gun(not my first gun literally, i have a couple) for deer/pig hunting.

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995