All The Gear And No Idea - Rant!

Bahh just feel like having a little rant.

There's been quite a lot of threads recently where I'm reading it and it's obvious as hell that the thread starter has no idea what they're doing with car audio - and then you take a look at the gear! It's all 5000w+ amps, 18" high end SPL subs, big wire, big batteries, big expensive everything! And they're clearly not getting it installed by a shop because they're asking semi-technical questions on here...

All it's going to end up with is crappy installs and broken gear. Half these people don't seem to realise that they're dealing with extremely sophisticated and sensitive gear - as most of you will know, 5kw is no joke and one slip-up = burnt subs. Someone on here was asking about a box setup for 2 18" BTLs with a 10kw amp and they had never built a ported box before?!?!?!

The worst part is what I think it's going to do to Fi - Steve's doing an awesome job promoting their products and I'm sure they're stoked with the exposure he gives them but every youtube-warrior-rich-kid and his dog now thinks that if you have a Fi sub you'll automatically do hairtricks and 160's but it's not going to be a good look when all these don't-knows either break the subs or end up with underperforming installs because of course 'it's never their fault, must be the subwoofer' :01nocomment8so:

I started off with a little 10" sub in a sealed box and a 2x50w Sony amp. I'm still very new to all this (only really been into it for 3 years or so) and although I'm running some relatively heavy-duty gear I try to give it the respect I think it needs - I research everything about it very thoroughly and them I'm careful when I install and use it!

Mmmm rant.......... :aggressive:

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

every one blows shit up. Hopefully they come back to this forum and get help picking up the peaces. I do kinda see a theme in what you wrote. SMD gives noobs enof inspiration to grow balls and go big. IDK, my second system in 1994 was the loudest on the central coast of california. It lasted a summer and then went up in flames. lol Now ive got 5 year old xtant amps getting ready to go back into my truck.

The only thing I dont like is when they have some one install a bunch of shit into there van then talk all big in the forum then goto other forums and talk down on the previous forum because the new forum doesn't know the dude just dropped a grip of cash for a big system in his van with voltage problems.

every one blows shit up. Hopefully they come back to this forum and get help picking up the peaces. I do kinda see a theme in what you wrote. SMD gives noobs enof inspiration to grow balls and go big. IDK, my second system in 1994 was the loudest on the central coast of california. It lasted a summer and then went up in flames. lol Now ive got 5 year old xtant amps getting ready to go back into my truck.

The only thing I dont like is when they have some one install a bunch of shit into there van then talk all big in the forum then goto other forums and talk down on the previous forum because the new forum doesn't know the dude just dropped a grip of cash for a big system in his van with voltage problems.

I think I know who you are talking about :mellow:

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Yeah everyone blows shit up but that's why most people start off with a $50 sub and a $100 amp, not a $500 sub and a $1000 amp... it's all worth the same once you let the magic smoke out of it :P

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

you better knock on wood!!!

i agree, i learned from hooking shit up and blowing it up. go to walmart and get a $30 lightning audio sub and one of those $50 VR3 amps. idk but i love those vr3 amps, ive had mine for a long ass time now. ive beat the shit out of it, ran two insignia 12" of it, and one level 2 off of it at 8 ohms rofl. ive beat the shit out of it and i cannot get it to die, i would buy another one if i had a use for it any day.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

Why what does wood have to do with it? An understanding and knowledge of what you are doing and the ability to read instructions is important when working with any electronics. I agree there are a lot of people here that have no business hooking up electronics of any kind but it is their money and if that is how they learn its fine by me.