Second Skin Audio

How To Make 45 Degree Corners (ported Box)

wasted ink

Any one wanna make a tatorial on how to do it with resign?? I've always wondered how to do it

And I agree with jeremy.. couldn't you just cut the 2x2 sideways?

24v1fe8.png

wow now this just shows that smd isnt just any forum. We are a brother hood.

here let me put it in retard-onix for u aareehhhh duuuurrrrr ehhh got it now?

Sweet baby jesus the amount of quoting the quote above the quote in a quote is epic

• 3 weeks later...

I just got an idea. Couldn't you use 2x2's and slice them diagnally? It's essentially the same thing, but it is solid, not hallow.

Technically yes, you could, but Im going to point out 2 major things, 1 which will stop you from doing so.

1) Todays lumber is not what it says it is. 2by4s are not acutally 2by4s like they once where, same as 4by4s, 2by2s, 1by1s etc. Everything got drastically smaller.

A 2by2 is something like 1.5by1.5 when you goto measure it.

Now you want to take this and divide it in half. This means you got .75inches between the blade, tablesaw fence, and very close to your fingers!! not to mention if the wood piece does get away from the fence you will jam the blade which sometimes results in a kick back (which is when the wood gets shot back at you from it binding on the blade. This can sometimes hurt!!

Using a push stick while cutting narrow cuts is a MUST DO! However if that board gets away from the fence you will not get a straight cut, which will make for a very bad leaky fit.

2) having the corner hallow or solid wont make a difference in sound, or decibel metering.

Either way if it is a hallow 45, or a solid 45, or even a resined 45 corner you are strengthing the box a bit more then just using a regular 90degree corner that is either screwed and glued or nailed and glued. Instead of the wood only bonding on 1 end, you have it bonding to 3 ends (the origional 90, and both sides of the new 45 you are inserting).

Any one wanna make a tatorial on how to do it with resign?? I've always wondered how to do it

And I agree with jeremy.. couldn't you just cut the 2x2 sideways?

using resin to do a 45 degree corner is simple.

Place your box on a 45degree angle and have it supported good.

Whatever corner the box is resting on the ground is going to be your corner you want to fill with resin first.

Mix up enough resing to fil the corner fully from end to end, and pour it in the corner.

Depeinding on how much hardener you use in the resin depends on the curing time. The more hardener the faster and hotter the curing time, however too hot will cause cracking excessive heating and maybe even fire or burning of wood. Lol

After the resin has cured on your firs corner, rotate the box to another corner and tilt it 45 degrees and repeat the above steps until you do every corner you want.

However, this will eat up a lot of resen depending on box size.. For a 5cubic foot box, you may need 1-2 gallons of resin!

• 1 month later...

017.jpg

so in this pic all u did was cut the port wall were it comes together at 45 then took another peice of 45 and put it on the back?. and what did you use to round the end of the port?

Jacob Sigmund

1 dc level 4 m1 18

1 audiopipe ap1500

2 runs of knu 1/0

jake1993sig.jpg

Alex Bennington" <[email protected] ^^^ want one one email this guy he will hook you up!

For the end of the port, you would just use a roundover bit on both sides of the piece.

Now to work 45's into each other takes a little more work. If you spent any time doing crown molding it will make perfect sense.

Set your saw on a 45.

074.jpg

Then you will either use the face for right hand cuts

075.jpg

And you will need a jig to help steady yourself to cut the back for left hand cuts.

076.jpg

And they should tie in nicely.

077.jpg

078.jpg

In the next day or so, I will do a couple tie in cuts for the last part.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

yeah i understand how the 45's in a corner like that work from doing trim in the house. im talking about the how the left port wall has a 45 and then righ across from that is angled too. how do i go about doing that?

Jacob Sigmund

1 dc level 4 m1 18

1 audiopipe ap1500

2 runs of knu 1/0

jake1993sig.jpg

Alex Bennington" <[email protected] ^^^ want one one email this guy he will hook you up!

for that, you could just do one 45 and glue the flat side to the end of the other piece of the port. if you want a bigger 45 you can cut both pieces, put the edges together and add the wedge you cut out to the back side of the corner for support.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

• 2 weeks later...

now you need to show us how to do all the corners. sometimes multiple 45 angles can be tricky ;)

I think that David is saying instead of just showing how to do the 45's in the vertical locations in the box also show how to do the horizontal corners and have them meet without having a wierd looking corner. I do all my 45's inside my boxes with fiberglass resin so when the two corners meet the resin molds to them and I don't have any complex cuts like the ones you would have with wood.

Here's a pic of what I think that David is talking about. Except mine is done with resin instead of wood. This pic doesn't show all the corners done, but it shows two 45's intersecting in the bottom corners. This is the box in my car right now.

Look up how to install crown molding its the same concept. It will help you understand how the two 45* corners intersect. If you are creative you'll quickly realize that you can have up to three corners intersect perfectly with no fillers. :)

• 5 months later...

How do you figure out the displacement?

Pontiac Grand Prix GT
400a Mean Machine alt.

EIGHT DD 12''s on a DDz2
DD vo 8''s,6''s,5.25''s&tweets
Norfolk, VA
http://www.youtube.c...ser/ovnorfolkva
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSPLSpot/473815915987218/?notif_t=group_activity#!/chrishova
http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1[/color]

Archived