Bad Alternator. I Think

i tried searching first...but i couldnt find anything on the first 5 pages, and i'm pressed for time so i gotta post this really quick just fyi. but...today i was driving, and my battery light came on. last time this happened...my alternator went bad and my car died in a not so good part of town. so...it came on today, and i made it to work and back, but i'm not gonna chance it on far drives. my question is...is there a way to test the alternator to see if it's charging properly or not? i know the guy that towed me last time did, but he had some sort of box that did it. i'd like to check it myself if i can. or would auto zone be able to? i have another alt i can swap it out with...but that has to wait till tomorrow afternoon when i'm off work. and auto zone is right next door to me so if they can check it that'd be even sweeter. any ideas would be helpful :)

you could stick your DMM on the output terminal of the alt. I've seen many alts outputting single digit voltage, so try that, it's quick and easy

Make sure you disconnect the battery from it first of course, or you'll just get the battery voltage :P

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

The above suggestions will work, or if you dont have acess to a dmm, what you can do is turn the car on and disconnect the Positive wire on the battery. If the car still runs, then it is most likely still good, but if it stalls out then you know you have a bad alternator.

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

thanks guys. i'll try that tomorrow before work if i can. dammit...it's an ohio gen and i've only had it a couple years :( hope it's the battery instead. i noticed when i switched the wet battery for the powermaster that when i'd go to start it...the car would bog down like it was gonna stall off. but...we'll see i guess. thanks for the info :)

autozone will test it for free usually, just go ask!

it's a h/o alt lol

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

well...to update...i checked the voltage today before work. it read 12.2 volts. i started the car...and it went down to 11.8 :( looks like ima call ohio gen tomorrow and see what i can do. any other places you guys would recommend to get it fixed up? and maybe get it bumped up a few amps. ugh...hopefully this doesnt cost a fortune

yea the alt is dying

happened to me. battery light came one... voltage gradually dropped... i tried to rush home and ended up losing all throttle responce, brakes, and power steering all the lights when out... yea.

when mine died for some reason my hazzards wouldnt work when i pushed the button but my rear winsheild wiper was... lol not a fun experience. the low voltage also caused my ABS motor thing to die which was a $1200 repair at the dealer... i got one at the loacl junk yard for $200.... still too much

get if fixed quick! sorry to hear it man.

Edited by NoFearX18

Untitled-2.jpg

My Videos

AQ + AA/Fi FTMFW!!!!!