Second Skin Audio

Resin Weakening Box

ok some guy is arguing with me that if you resin and mat the inside of your box that that makes it weaker because air can't get to it or something

Too many screws bro, and i wouldnt fiberglass the inside it actually makes it less strong. If your looking for better airflow jus resin it.
please elaborate on that
Niz is right, A screw should only be used to hold the pieces together till the glue drys. When the actualy glue dries the glue itself is stronger then the wood. The reason fiberglass makes the wood weaker is because the oxygen cant get to the wood. Wood is a majior source of oxygen hint why its from a tree. It needs oxygen to be strong. If you dont believe me make 2 small boxs exactly the same, one with fiberglass and one without see which one breaks worse.
then if you put resin on the inside It would also weaken it but the strength you get from the matting helps alot as it is rigid and doesn't allow the wood to flex and if you allow the air to get to the wood then it will "soak" through the other side and you will loose pressure inside of the box (to a certain extant) and if you resin and mat the inside and resin the out side it would actually be stronger as the air would be trapped inside sort of like a balloon in mdf the spaces between particles is so small that it doesn't really have the same properties as plywood because all it is is saw dust and glue pressed together at high pressure and heat

so who is right?

heres the original thread

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/s...post&t=4240

Edited by wenn_du_weinst

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

WOW, thats all I have to say.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Are yall seriously arguing over air seeping through mdf...

yeah sorta I guess basically he says mat and resin makes it weaker and I say it doesn't so unless there is something I don't know about I'm pretty sure I'm right

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

yall dumb

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

What's that fool have against resin?!?!?!?

:mad:

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

well guys, it looks like i wasted 2 gallons of resing and 15 yards of matt giving reinforcement to my box then. oops.

seriously though it adds ALOT of strength.

fyi: i did his experiement. i build 2 sealed boxes for a rfhe 10 one with resin and matt and one with out. the one with out resin and matt lasted only from a 16 foot fall. the other one lasted with me throwing it up in the air as high as i could and then falling on concrete.

Edited by reinke

----reference's----

meade916

hes a retard and mdf isnt exacly from a tree its basicly sawdust and resin smashed together

thats what I said but he just keeps saying test it over and over again

and why am I dumb? I was right

mcintoshsigz.png