Ford Explorer 2000, What Oil To Use?

i have a ford explorer 2000, 4.0L SOHC has 106k miles on it

what oil and oil filter do you guys recommend?

my buddy said that i should buy 20w-50 because of the high mileage.

if i remember correctly its 5-20w and any oil will work but i have a higher mileage vehicle and i use valvoline highmilage in my truck..

250 amp mechman alt

Sundown 100.4D

Sundown 1500v2 now goin to the cruze

Sundown ZV3 12d2

Sundown sa6.5cs X2

Kenwood X597

Trying something new

2011 Chevy Cruze

X8

1500v2

depends on what temp ur running ur truck at .....anything below 32F yes u will be doing more damage than good by running that heavy of oil...

edit: the factory does alot of r and D on which weight motor oil is best for the life of their engines...if ur gonna run that heavy of an oil the ur motor in cold temps ur engine will suffer from what is called a dry start in which means during the first few 5-10 seconds ur engine will run without oil because at that cold of a temp ur oil pump will not beable to pick up and move 20w oil fast enough to lubricated the engine at start up and thats where almost all wear and tear occurs in an engine...thats why they reccoment 5-20 for most normal operational temps...

250 amp mechman alt

Sundown 100.4D

Sundown 1500v2 now goin to the cruze

Sundown ZV3 12d2

Sundown sa6.5cs X2

Kenwood X597

Trying something new

2011 Chevy Cruze

X8

1500v2

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't it like use 5W-30 for colder temps and 10W-30 for higher temps??

That is if your vehicle is 'compatible' with those oil weights.

correct the W stands for winter fyi!!

I know a lil about everything so dont call me Mr. Know it All.

I would use Mobil 1. Their oils are the best IMO. I use Mobil 1 in every engine I own, from my lawn mower to my ATV's to my car and truck and I have never had a oil related engine failure or problem.

As far as viscosity, use what Ford recomends or maybe one step higher. For example, if they say 5w-20, I would not go any thicker than a 5w-30.

EDIT: 20w-50 is WAY to thick for that type of engine.

just get 5w-30 i use exxon but thats because i work at exxon and ive never seen anyone have a problem with it and i know ive seen explorers with more milage then that and as for the filter i would go AC delco and i think the filter that fits that is one of those hefty mofos like a PF2 or PF1250 make sure you get the right one and dont double gasket the bish.

Archived