What Screws Do You Use When You Build Your Boxes

Texas Tech

Most everyone uses titebond, but elmers works too. Im sure if it says wood glue, you cant go wrong

Baylor University

Accounting

If you only have one drill definitely get one of those flip bit things, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Makita-784859-Quad-D...4794&sr=8-1

I have 2 cordless drills and a corded drill and still use the flip about half the time.

Before I had that I had a separate drill for drilling, countersinking and driving. Somewhat of a hassle but I could crank a box out in no time.

To the original poster (The raider) ;) Just kidding with you man, I'll admit I love when A&M plays tech, yall have some of the hottest women I've ever seen come down to CS.

It's your personal preference what you use, however the fact is you can do plenty good completely without screws or any fasteners. Many people just use a good quality glue and strong clamps to hold it all together while it dries.

That being said, the only advantage of screws/brad nails is that it allows you to keep working on the box while the glue is still in the drying process.

I always use 1 1/4" coarse thread drywall screws as long as I'm working with material that's 1/2"- 5/8". And a great glue is Dap brand. Really if you walk to the glue isle at homedepot or lowes and pick up any bottle of glue, you won't go wrong, they all do a good job really.

Always pre-drill your holes however when using screws because as said the mdf WILL split. It's really just layers, which will naturally want to peel apart if given the chance. Use a bit that's the same size as the screw shaft, not including the threads. You want the threads to grip.

Countersinking is good because it will take the head of the screw below the face of the mdf and you can then fill the hole and sand it flush for a clean finish if you're going to be painting or putting truck bed liner on the box.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

• 1 month later...

I never did like the idea of using brad nails for making boxs because it doesnt essentially "pul" the wood together and create a tight seal like a screw would do. It just "holds" it in place.

if your cuts are straight you dont need to "pull" the wood together.

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

A little off topic of screws: What is the best glue to use? I used Gorilla wood glue. It worked, but is there a much better choice to use??

Posted Image

thats a good glue.....but my favorite is Elmers ultimate glue....

http://www.elmers.com/images/line_art/P9412_tmb_photo.jpg

shit, you even gotta wear gloves or itll stain your hands yellow....

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

if your cuts are straight you dont need to "pull" the wood together.

Straight cuts have nothing to do with wanting to have the best seal possible. Im pretty sure 99% of box builders and people who compete wether it be in db drag or bassrace all use screws and not brad nails.

Car Audio + Bodyboarding/Longboarding = LIFE!!!

Archived