Second Skin Audio

Torres' Box Tuning Calculator - Updated 8/18

Torres

How would a box appear if you use height 1 and 2 width and depth 1 and 2 I am trying to build a box for my truck behind the seat the back wall being flush with wall the top being a 90% off of back to the front and the front of box nearest seat would be slanted as the seat goes to the floor. The sub itself mounted on bottom would be at an angle as well so I could get the mounting depth I need otherwise it just doesn't work....

Feel free to pm me for a drawing I have of box I'm just wondering how to calculate on Torres thanks for any help

So I just downloaded the newest version on my new laptop and it is showing different specs than the old version

old:

newbox1.jpg

new:

box-1_zpsdfb07597-1_zps71fc1b64.jpg

It looks like everything is the same except for port volume, so which one is correct? This is the specs for the wall currently in my truck btw

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

^^ Same thing happened to me

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
1st Setup: 145.8 DB Outlaw @37 HZ On Music Out Of Trunk
2nd Setup: 147.8 DB @42 HZ On Music Out The Trunk
Current Trunk Build:
153.8 DB Outlaw @ 49 HZ Out the trunk (150.8 DB Sealed)
Team gg.

So I just downloaded the newest version on my new laptop and it is showing different specs than the old version

old:

newbox1.jpg

new:

box-1_zpsdfb07597-1_zps71fc1b64.jpg

It looks like everything is the same except for port volume, so which one is correct? This is the specs for the wall currently in my truck btw

The true port displacement can be found via sketchup I have done extensive tests on both versions (more on the older one), both versions miscalculate port displacement somewhat in some situations by a larger margin than others. The older version had a smaller error than the new one in the situations I tested.

I think a solution to all of this is to add in a part to this app where you can manually put in your port displacement, this would allow for 100% accurate calculations, because if you route the port differently then the app it will all be off, the port displacement changes the tuning, and the inner box area, which will throw off all your calculations, I am having this issue now, so I am using winISD and torres calc to try and get this figured out, the port displacement is much higher in torres then it really takes up inside the box, which I can't figure it out, I have been manually crunching all these numbers

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

I think a solution to all of this is to add in a part to this app where you can manually put in your port displacement, this would allow for 100% accurate calculations, because if you route the port differently then the app it will all be off, the port displacement changes the tuning, and the inner box area, which will throw off all your calculations, I am having this issue now, so I am using winISD and torres calc to try and get this figured out, the port displacement is much higher in torres then it really takes up inside the box, which I can't figure it out, I have been manually crunching all these numbers

Same here, I use torres to ballpark then go to sketchup and check all the math. Then i put the actual net volume and port dimensions back into torres to check tuning. I'm not bashing This calculator at all, great program. It's a very nice tool that without it would make designed my enclosures a lot harder.

Same here, I use torres to ballpark then go to sketchup and check all the math. Then i put the actual net volume and port dimensions back into torres to check tuning. I'm not bashing This calculator at all, great program. It's a very nice tool that without it would make designed my enclosures a lot harder.

yea exactly, its just that its impossible for a program to guess how you are going to lay out the port, which changes the tuning and inner volume, not the programers fault, its just a part of designing a box, if you doing a port that has no common walls and doesnt curve then it cacluates it right, but turns and more then one side it starts getting off, like I said if we could put in the port area manually it would fix all this, or you can just use the program differently

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)

You could actually do that the way the calculator is right now, just use the bracing displacement field:

Number to set the bracing displacement field = your calculated port displacement + actual bracing displacement - port displacement Torres shows.

Problem is that this is a lot of work.

You could actually do that the way the calculator is right now, just use the bracing displacement field:

Number to set the bracing displacement field = your calculated port displacement + actual bracing displacement - port displacement Torres shows.

Problem is that this is a lot of work.

yea, I was able to do it, I just figured out what I wanted for net box area, put that in, and then whatever I did for the port I made the calc say it was external -.75 for box thickness, but you can just put 100 in external, and it calculates it with the port length - .75 for the wall, so it works out as no port on the inside :P, and that gave me the same exact tuning as winISD and the12volt.com, just would be nice to have that option in there

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)

Archived