Sonic Electronix

Loud Systems And Your Ears :: Happened To You?

Highs have always hurt my ears more than bass does. If I play it loud, I can make my ears rattle- even with the subs turned off. All bass has ever done was make it hard to see or breathe.

Back when I was in school, I used to play my music really loud and being a poor college student, I had super cheap equipment with gobs of distortion. I didn't care though, because hey- I had tunes. One day I realized that the ringing in my ears didn't go away. I started paying attention to what I put my ears through after that. I wear hearing protection when doing pretty much anything now- shooting guns, cutting firewood, making boxes, mowing grass, etc. Maybe I am getting old and my ears are getting sensitive to it, or maybe I am noticing now- but when it begins to hurt, I turn it down.

...because right now, as quiet as my house is- there is a constant ringing I hear when everything else is gone (my buddy tinnitus). For me, I believe it was the Highs that did the damage. All I am saying is take care of your ears, they are the only pair you have got.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

I had hearing problems once, but i think it was only because a chunk of earwax rattled loose and got clogged in my ear canal, a little warm water and some head bangin later it fell right out n i could hear perfect

I lol'd pretty hard

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

shit i blast my system for atleast 2 hours aday if not more..once i get out my car slight rining noise or my head hurts..has far as hearing goes im around loud stuff at work so id just blame my loss of hearing on that..so im prob gonna be deff at 26..

1996 Ford Taurus

----------------------------

2 yellow tops

1/0 gauge wire

800amp batcap

4gauge to amp

1 MCD Memphis 1100

3 kicker L7 10s (4)ohm droped

Pioneer 6*8s

jenson 200watt amp

ive had my system now 3 years bumping every day and my hearing is fine. Specially since i added the dynamat it makes it easier on the ears. I only have an amp on my subs so the highs aren't ridic or anything. When i go to clubs/concerts my ears are killin me hardcore the day after.

2003 Pontiac Vibe Dark Red

18" Motegi MR-7's

2 Alpine Type-R 6.5" Coaxial Speakers on the front doors

Alpine CDA Head Unit w/IPod Cable

Alpine V-Power mono mr650

12" Alpine Type-R(2 Ohm) Subwoofer

Dynamat in the trunk with the liscense plate and,

2 Stock tweaters in the front, with the stock speakers in the back seats

no bull shit, i bang loud as my system can support (voltage) long as i can...

i read your thread and dismissed it, then 20 minutes later i had a ringing in my right ear that lasted a good 10 minutes :\

could be coincedence could not be...but i work around machinery all day so thats most likely to contribute to any hearing loss in general as thats 10-13 hours of loudness lol

ya honestly life will cost you your hearing faster than a system I unload trucks so daily I slam down skids roll boxes down a line and most generaly have a small radio up in the trailer full tilt so its a pretty loud work environment accualy if you wanted to be technical we should probably have to wear hearing protection per OSHA guidelines but most of the noise is us having a bit of fun

i remember once i had a quick convorsation with my school nurse about hearing loss

she said that listening to alot of bass makes the bone in your ear that moves allowing you to hear vibrate slower or less (cant remember exactly what she said)

idk if everyone already knew that but i just thought i would buzz in on this topic

Bass is my drug. One hit and i was hooked.

No hear lost from bass. Just a headache when you are not used to it. The interesting think is I hear better after played for a couple of hours. I hear sound which usually don't. Interesting. :pardon:

But highs are killing me.

bg_flag.gif

I've been gradually getting louder over the past five years listening to music at very high levels consistantly. A lot of people say I should be deaf but to be honest I haven't noticed a drama.

However I do find it strange my system doesn't even sound remotely loud 'to ear', if you know what I mean. I kind of judge how loud it is by the air movement and how much my body vibrates. My ears have just become numb to low frequencies.

I remember going to comps around 5 years ago and sticking my head in cars doing mid 140dBs on music and feeling PAIN! It was awesome!

These days I take my cars to comps and people freak out over it but I haven't felt that PAIN in a long time, not even at full tilt.

If a system ain't pushing mid-high 140s ATLEAST I can't even hear it :D

I guess when you go big, it's hard to take a step back. It'd be like getting out of a drag car and hopping in a Honda Civic and complaining it's slow.

Sometimes it's hard to talk on the telephone, I have to strain to listen!

On the contrary if somebody has beat and is coming down the street I will always pick it up and hear them first, out of everybody I know, even my car audio friends. Pretty strange.

36CFDEF1-F93D-4FA3-9934-64EE2EC94080-2856-0000071FCFA47672.png.ebe82e417eabc5f239a4adf293b099f9.png

Previous 150+ daily rides:

Volvo 240 wagon 2 x DD Audio 9915s walled, Isuzu Trooper 6 x DD Audio 3515s walled clamshell, Lexus LX470  2 x Kicked Solo X 18s, Lexus LS400 4  x American Bass HD18 walled

SMD - System of The Month August 2008

My Youtube Videos

no bull shit, i bang loud as my system can support (voltage) long as i can...

i read your thread and dismissed it, then 20 minutes later i had a ringing in my right ear that lasted a good 10 minutes :\

could be coincedence could not be...but i work around machinery all day so thats most likely to contribute to any hearing loss in general as thats 10-13 hours of loudness lol

you and your big 1,000w right :rofl:

but seriously a rock concert fucks me up bass does not

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

Archived