Sundown Audio

Subsonic Filters,,,on Or Off

doubleD

had an amp that powered subs pretty hard but wouldnt really hit the low stuff like 20hrtz an below. thought it was the box but when i turned the filter way down the subs came alive. they started playing shit so low that i had shit flexing like never before. then started having problems with amp......do others use them up or way down

had an amp that powered subs pretty hard but wouldnt really hit the low stuff like 20hrtz an below. thought it was the box but when i turned the filter way down the subs came alive. they started playing shit so low that i had shit flexing like never before. then started having problems with amp......do others use them up or way down

I don't think there is really any music down that low anyway. I set mine ~30hz with my wall tuned to 38hz.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Turn it on in a ported box -off in sealed box.

Alpine INA-W900

Rockford Fosgate Punch 200ix

Rockford Fosgate power T1500-1

Sundown SA-10 x2

Focal 6x8's front

Rockford Fosgate Power T1682 rear

Rockford Fosgate and Stinger Wiring

Powermaster D3400, S680

All a subsonic filter does is saves your amp from making power at frequencies that aren't being played in your music. For example if you are listening to some Fall out Boy or something without a ton of bass you are still going to have frequencies in the 20hz range during the song. Instead of wasting power on those freq's that aren't even going to be loud anyway you turn on the subsonic and it keeps the amp from playing those particular freq's and it saves you power for the actual peaks in the song. SPL competitors usually don't use a subsonic filter cause they are burping a specific test tone and don't need to filter out lower freq's, and this allows the amp to make more power all together cause it's not cutting off a band of freq's.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

All a subsonic filter does is saves your amp from making power at frequencies that aren't being played in your music. For example if you are listening to some Fall out Boy or something without a ton of bass you are still going to have frequencies in the 20hz range during the song. Instead of wasting power on those freq's that aren't even going to be loud anyway you turn on the subsonic and it keeps the amp from playing those particular freq's and it saves you power for the actual peaks in the song. SPL competitors usually don't use a subsonic filter cause they are burping a specific test tone and don't need to filter out lower freq's, and this allows the amp to make more power all together cause it's not cutting off a band of freq's.

what about in bass songs like bass i love you.. theres a couple of really low notes in it that it wouldnt play until i turned it way down

i believe he is referring to every day music, like actual songs that play on the radio that you have on cds and stuff, not stuff you download thats strictly for bass

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

it also protects the sub from bottoming out.

some subs can't handle real low notes.

there are also some theories on the back pressure in some boxes of low hz notes that screw up the sub.

well i have 4_18'' in a box much like meades with 200sq inch port.. treo subs an amps

learn something new everyday, so boils down to this daily driver leave it on, doing comps turn it off right?