Using Brad Nailer For Box Building?

creyc

you obviously haven't built many boxes.

x2...as for the wood separating, thats why glassing the inside of the box is a good idea....

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

..i only use the nailer to hold the wood together till i can pre dill the holes and screw the two pieces together. I just feel like the nails or even the glue isnt strong enough on its own, plus the screws pull everything together and make it all really nice and tight.

If you use a set of clamps to squeeze the pieces together after glue up , then use the nailer, the boards are not gonna separate from each other. The thing with using a brad nailer or finish nailer is that they nails are small enough that if you shoot them in square, they wont split the MDF, and you can space them every 2 or 3 inches, which will certainly keep the pieces in place after you take the clamps off.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

I'm I reading this right

your telling the Guy Brad Nails are Better then Screws for a Box WTF

Yeah I'm going to build a box for my 18" sub and use 2" Nails

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/01nocomment8so.gif

you obviously haven't built many boxes.

x2

x2...as for the wood separating, thats why glassing the inside of the box is a good idea....

i use nails a titebond 2 and never glassed the inside of a box, also never had problems with it separating

If you use a set of clamps to squeeze the pieces together after glue up , then use the nailer, the boards are not gonna separate from each other. The thing with using a brad nailer or finish nailer is that they nails are small enough that if you shoot them in square, they wont split the MDF, and you can space them every 2 or 3 inches, which will certainly keep the pieces in place after you take the clamps off.

and 1 more x2
you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

x2 that's what i do. built a box in maybe 45 min yesterday. when i used to build with screws i would pre drill and counter sink them. FUCK ALL OF THAT NOW!!!

Need any thing chromed? Hit me up!!!

gamer tag: (360)

mEmEnToMoRi64

My Myspace

refs:

from here: RollinSoLow, Derrick824, Ray

from c.a.c.o. : teamsubgopoof, splvictim20, SundownAudioNY

from C.A.J. : Donpisto, spladdict19, CAJunkyard, JBLCAMRY, DasBot (robot underground)

from ca.com: alxmlr789,photocrazy8

SMDsigbannr9.jpg

2c27c692.jpg

I think all of you that are arguing over which is better is a little confused about the whole purpose of screws/nails... :rolleyes:

Using screws/nails just holds the wood together while the glue dries. Same thing as using clamps except if you use nails to hold the pieces you can continue working on the box without clamps in the way even if that glue bead hasn't dried. (This is where efficiency comes in)

Look at all the builds and see how everyone does it. Alot of the guys building their own boxes for competition purposes and such simply just clamp the pieces and go day by day one piece at a time. Then you'll see builds from guys doing work for customers that use a nailer or screws because they don't have that time to wait, they need to get that box done and finished so they can move on to the next customer. (Time=money)

The glue is the main factor of a box's joint. You could pull all the nails/screws out after the glue has dried and it would be just as strong.

Now then you have the guys that fiberglass the inside corners which is a whole different subject. That goes along as to build strength at a different aspect than screws or nails would solve.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

I use screws and space them out every 3in. and have no problem at all with my mdf splitting. Im sure if you try to screw in a 1 5/8" screw without a pilot hole it would split but just make sure you make a pilot hole and you wont have any problems.

Car Audio + Bodyboarding/Longboarding = LIFE!!!

Archived