Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer Myths And Facts

yea. durability shouldnt change weather its a brand new or freshly reconed speaker vs a broken in one.

Corey had a lot of mojo 4ks charging at 18v with a crap ton of batts. But from what I remembered, he really had a lot of problems with the speakers, and launched alot of cones.

Now he has some memphis mojo 15s in the same wall with the same if not more power behind them, and they take it fine, theres the occausional broken sub but no where near as bad. but is in the 160+db area and won finals

Posted Image

Posted Image

then his integra pre wall. I remember him toasting the tss playin king kong at my shop at a dbdrag event.

Posted Image

and recently walled last year iirc. But after all the t3's he burnt up I cant imaging him buying more! but I guess you got a happy and strong supporting customer :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

He's probably burnt up more T3 subs than everyone else combined from the looks of it.

I have run 3K to my TSS daily no problems. We have run 6K daily to TSNS 18s and 15s no problems.

I've never seen his setup before. What finals? I'd like more info on him and his setup to see what he is doing do cause that so I can help him.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

yes, a sub can sound different when broken in, or even produce more SPL after broken in. But it will not effect durability/reliability.

im still a firm beliver in letting the coils heat cycle a few times before lettin em have it..

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

tuned to 25 hz... stay tuned.

blazer

stroker 15

brutus bxi2006d terrible voltage drop

145.4@38HZ... SEALED LEGAL

Aim: chewieft09

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

my house is louder than your car...

I agree with this to a point, I've seen people install their drivers an hour before a competition, and still come out winning. But it's still recommended to loosen up the spiders

either way it will not make a difference.... in no way shape or form.... i understand the breaking in thing with engines, there are multiple moving parts that need to be properly lubricated before harsh use..... but a sub... is just a sub.... you want it to be as stiff as possible for mechanical efficiency purposes..... the only exception i have about it is when its really cold out.... then by all means... let the woofer warm up a bit.... every sub ive had has had the hell pounded out of it from the first second it was hooked up... never had any problems....

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

im still a firm beliver in letting the coils heat cycle a few times before lettin em have it..

like i said again... when its cold its a good thing to do.... but the break in period is bs.... the only reason it sounds better to people is because they did the break in..... if you didnt do a break in period you would never know any difference....

there are no tested facts to support the break in idea...

if you have the money... buy 2 of the exact same subs.... pound the hell out of one the second you hook it up.... and take it easier on the second one... i guarantee you will not be able to tell any difference!...

its kinda like a lucky rock thing.....

the rock brings you luck only because you think it does.... its all in your head....

edit: one more thing to add.... woofers are tested in the factory to make sure they work properly before they are boxed up and shipped out.... so they are already broke in....

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

like i said again... when its cold its a good thing to do.... but the break in period is bs.... the only reason it sounds better to people is because they did the break in..... if you didnt do a break in period you would never know any difference....

there are no tested facts to support the break in idea...

if you have the money... buy 2 of the exact same subs.... pound the hell out of one the second you hook it up.... and take it easier on the second one... i guarantee you will not be able to tell any difference!...

its kinda like a lucky rock thing.....

the rock brings you luck only because you think it does.... its all in your head....

edit: one more thing to add.... woofers are tested in the factory to make sure they work properly before they are boxed up and shipped out.... so they are already broke in....

That a subwoofer's suspension gets softer through use is a very well known fact and it can drastically alter the sound of the sub...

When my 9515's arrived you could barely push the cone down with your hands, now they're a hell of a lot softer.

That said, I know the big SPL guys often recone a sub 15 minutes before a run then stick 30kw up it's terminals...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

2. You DO NOT have to run both voice coils for a dual voice coil sub. Same goes with all four on a quad coil sub. Your power input would have to be halved since you're running a single coil, but it won't melt or blow. You can then put a variable resistor on the second coil to change the sound of the sub, but I'll let you do some research on that. Here's some light reading - http://www.geocities.com/f4ier/dvc.htm

I didn't go to the Geo cities website, but when I worked for my old boss, who had 30+ years in the business of engineering subs, he did say that running 1 coil, not the other will kill the coil, I couldn't understand that?

But from how he explained it was that the wire is expanding at one rate, while the non used coil is only tranfering heat, and what happens is usually a slinky issue with the coil, glue ends up failing on 1 coil, but not the other

I ran a memphis m3 15 on a shitty vibe 800 watt amp that was probably around 300 watts with only 1 voice coil until i got my mcd1000 and it ran fine for 2 years like that. UNDER POWERED AND ON 1 OUT OF THE 2 COILS

98 Jeep Wrangler

33x13.50 super swamper LTB's

Memphis M3 15"

Memphis MCD1000

Optima yellowtop D34/78

Bass Race 129.9

(LBZ Duramax in the future)

I got a good one, Myth or Fact?

Listening to subwoofers can affect bowel movements?

I heard this from someone along time ago, you think that the vibrations can make your shit go down faster?

2003 Pontiac Vibe Dark Red

18" Motegi MR-7's

2 Alpine Type-R 6.5" Coaxial Speakers on the front doors

Alpine CDA Head Unit w/IPod Cable

Alpine V-Power mono mr650

12" Alpine Type-R(2 Ohm) Subwoofer

Dynamat in the trunk with the liscense plate and,

2 Stock tweaters in the front, with the stock speakers in the back seats

I got a good one, Myth or Fact?

Listening to subwoofers can affect bowel movements?

I heard this from someone along time ago, you think that the vibrations can make your shit go down faster?

Myth. The brown note doesn't exist.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160