Basshead08 Posted June 3, 2009 Report Posted June 3, 2009 What are some of the effects of having abox that is too big for a sub? I know it lowers the power handling of the sub but is there anything else to be weary of? System tear out has begun...Out with the old i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme
Basshead08 Posted June 3, 2009 Author Report Posted June 3, 2009 surely somebody knows if there are any other drawbacks of a bigger box. System tear out has begun...Out with the old i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme
Kian Posted June 3, 2009 Report Posted June 3, 2009 you will gain some spl. --------------------------------------------------------------- Club 150 (15x.x) Youtube Future Build: 1x 15" T3 TSNS 2x Sundown Audio SAZ3000d Parellel strapped
BanginOnABudget Posted June 3, 2009 Report Posted June 3, 2009 well i made a box that was suposed to be 9 cubes, 6 cubes, and now it sounds like im bumpin pyles. last time i take advice from someone on smd <.< lol. but yeah, aslong as you modify the port too, you will have better SPL qualities. im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire. Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block.... 1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr. Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt. Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos. Pioneer 6000ub Reciever NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon. MSG Me for a free enclosure design!! Flared port kits coming soon!!
Goldtaz1 Posted June 3, 2009 Report Posted June 3, 2009 I would definitely think that there is a point at which box size becomes too big that the returns greatly diminish (some folks may disagree). Power applied, volume of the box, and port area all go hand in hand with each other. In my experience, the reason Mr. Meade does not blow subs left and right (other than the fact his subs are quite nice and he knows how to properly set the gain) is because he uses minimal port area and minimal overall net volume. This decreases the efficiency of the box, but it enables him to throw an assload of power on those subs without worrying a whole lot about their health. The amount of resistance inside Meade's box actually helps with controlling the cone. Increasing box size and port area raises the efficiency, but you will definitely decrease the ability to apply huge amounts of power. If my technical assertions are wrong, I definitely encourage someone to correct my statements. These are conclusions that I have not only read on the forums, but have come to for myself as I have built enclosures over the past 7-8 years. 1999 2 Door Chevy Tahoe 5.7L V8 K&N Cold Air Intake Kenwood KDC-BT555U 1 Clarion EQS746 Equalizer 1 Clarion MCD360 Crossover 4 Incriminator Audio 1st Gen Warden 18's - 4th Order Bandpass Wall 4 Incriminator Audio 40.1s 8 PRV Audio 8MB450 8" Mid-Range Drivers 8 PRV Audio 6MB200 6" Mid-Range Drivers 1 Stetsom 3K3ES 8 PRV Audio TW350Ti Titanium Bullet Super Tweeter 1 NVX JAD800.4 2 XS Power XP2000s 8 XS Power XP3000s 10 sets of Team Project DB BA60 Battery Terminals 3 Mechman 270 amp alternators GETTIN LOUDER DAILY!
BanginOnABudget Posted June 3, 2009 Report Posted June 3, 2009 bigger box+bigger port = bigger power handeling. not much, but a little. and if its recomemded 4 cu.ft. per sub, dont go like 5+ unless you know that 4 is under-rated, or if its a hella good sub. just dumbed down from above im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire. Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block.... 1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr. Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt. Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos. Pioneer 6000ub Reciever NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon. MSG Me for a free enclosure design!! Flared port kits coming soon!!
Torres Posted June 3, 2009 Report Posted June 3, 2009 Increasing box size and port area raises the efficiency, but you will definitely decrease the ability to apply huge amounts of power. word. bigger boxes tend to gain on low end response, but you lose a lil on the high end response, and vice versa with smaller boxes.
Basshead08 Posted June 4, 2009 Author Report Posted June 4, 2009 Well I just built a new console box for my aq 15 hdc3. It is 5.33 cubes with 93 sq in of port. When I talked to dj at audioque he said it was a good bit too big. He said he doesn't normally recommend but about 4 cubes for those subs. I had my aq1200 running at 1/2 ohm with the old box(3.96 cubes with not nearly enough port) and the sub never had any problems. When I get everything hooked back up I'm thinking bout wiring the sub to 2 ohms to be easier on electrical and the amp as long as there isn't a significant loss in output. What do you guys think? System tear out has begun...Out with the old i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme
Laronzo Posted June 4, 2009 Report Posted June 4, 2009 Well I just built a new console box for my aq 15 hdc3. It is 5.33 cubes with 93 sq in of port. When I talked to dj at audioque he said it was a good bit too big. He said he doesn't normally recommend but about 4 cubes for those subs. I had my aq1200 running at 1/2 ohm with the old box(3.96 cubes with not nearly enough port) and the sub never had any problems. When I get everything hooked back up I'm thinking bout wiring the sub to 2 ohms to be easier on electrical and the amp as long as there isn't a significant loss in output. What do you guys think? I'd say run the amp at 2 and .5 and see which is better fits your tastes. If at .5 ohms it isn't too much louder, I'd say go for 2 ohms for the reasons you stated. Good luck, Larson
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.