Computer upgrade time

Current system was built in '05-'06

Mobo - Asus P5N-E SLI

CPU - Intel Pentium 4 HT 630 Prescott @ 3.75Ghz - 24/7 (38c idle - 55-57c 100% Prime95 @ 26c ambient , stock voltage)

CPU Cooler - Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro - 92mm

Ram - 2 GB Mushkin EM2-5300 (PC2-5300) DDR2 @ 800mhz

PSU - Ultra 600watt

GPU - x2 PNY Verto GeForce 7800 GT (256MB )

HDD - Maxtor Sata 250 GB

Case - Basic smaller mid tower

OS - Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Home Edition 32-bit

New system plans

Mobo - EVGA X58 SLI [132-BL-E758-A1]

CPU - Intel Core i7 920

CPU Cooler - Prolimatech Megahalems

Ram - 6 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer (PC3-12800) Tri-Channel DDR3

PSU - Corsair HX1000

GPU - x2 BFG Tech Geforce GTX 280 OC

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Case - NZXT Tempest

Monitor - Acer H233H 23" HDMI 1080p lcd

OS - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I will try to update this with pictures as parts come in .

Edited by Joker

2000 Trans Am ws6 - 6spd / M9 / cam / full bolt-ons / semi full suspension / tune

1998 Integra - daily beater, [2] AB XFL-1244's / 4ft³@35Hz, 61in² / Saz-3500dv1 @.85Ω

If you're getting that much power, XP is simply a waste.

Go Windows 7. It really is awesome, and fast, plus it has the new XP emulator mode, which means absolutely anything that worked on XP well will work on W7 well.

And since you're buying from newegg, can i suggest Crucial Ballistix Tracer (DDR3) for the ram? 6gb..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820148282

It's not cheap, but it's probably the fastest ram out there, and Crucial Ballistix' are INCREDIBLE for overclocking.

With Windows 7 64bit (use the full 6gb of rams), and the XP Emulator, simply put the older games into XP compat mode and it will emulate 32bit - meaning that all of your older games will work.

Will do then on the Windows 7.

Ordered a different GPU than I have listed , other didnt have HDMI hookup so I looked and found a BFG GTX 280 OC . Had the HDMI hookup and a lifetime warranty.

Same 1GB / 512bit / 240 stream processors.

Edited by Joker

2000 Trans Am ws6 - 6spd / M9 / cam / full bolt-ons / semi full suspension / tune

1998 Integra - daily beater, [2] AB XFL-1244's / 4ft³@35Hz, 61in² / Saz-3500dv1 @.85Ω

you need tri channel memory either 3 or 6 should be fine i suggest 6

Subs are like titties, They need to come in pairs because ones and threes are just wrong, and larger amounts will always draw a crowd, we all have our favorite sizes, but the bigger ones are more fun to watch move. :D

Words to live by.

you need tri channel memory either 3 or 6 should be fine i suggest 6

I was about to say that.

If you're only going to be running 2gigs of memory, the rest of the system is a bit of overkill IMO. Especially if you don't plan on upgrading it in the future. In which case, I suggest waiting until you can save up the extra $50 or so to get at least three gigs.

Also just as a heads up, since you're running a double wide GPU, be sure you have clearance. I don't know for sure if it will, and I don't feel like looking it up. :lol:

Edited by BJD3

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Just as the other guys said...........Please use some common sense, and run triple channel mode when upgrading to an i7. Damn, you can get a great 6GB set for ~130$ bones now a days. What would be the purpose of this "UPGRADE" if you going to be crippling yourself with 2GB's ram, and DX9 only OS? Your getting a DX10 card, why not use it! Thing of it this way: Get 6GB ram, and all your new parts, With nvidia physx enabled, install UT3 and fuckin game for hours with the sick ass graphics.......!!!!!

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Changing it up some , going to use 2 GPU's [bFG GTX 280 OC] so I am looking for a good SLI motherboard now.

I like what I see from EVGA {lifetime warranty , supposedly great customer service , and it seems alot of the serious overclockers of the i7 use them.

Since I am going with 2 decent video cards , do you think I should get a 1k watt powersupply instead of the 850watt ?

I like what I read on reveiws on the Corsair brand powersupplys {good internal build quality and parts used , not crowded so offers good cooling , and they have good length warranty}.

The 1k watt is modular so that is a plus from there TX850watt , looking for an efficent unit that does rated power and lasts really.

Memory I know I have to use triple channel DDR3 , what I didnt know is to use at least 3gb and to fill up at least 3 slots for it to function right. Meaning if I only run 3gb's .. better to get 3 x 1gb sticks.

I plan to use 6gb 3 x 2gb sticks. Just want to make sure the brand and speed is correct for the motherboard before I jump in and order stuff I will regret.

You guys know alot more than me , Im trying to keep up.

I researched the heck out of CPU coolers and come to the conclusion I want to run the Prolimatech Megahalems with 2 good cfm / low db 120mm fans , one a push and one a pull. Thinking of 2 Yate Loon's or 2 Scythe Slipstream.

id say the 850 watt should be fine. if you have the money for a 1000 watter id go with that though.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/