SQMonte Posted July 16, 2009 Report Posted July 16, 2009 I have a 13yr old son, soon to be 14 and like most teenagers he's a texting fanatic. The day we got him his phone he sent rcvd over 80 texts in less than 2hrs! Luckily we have unlimited texting on our family plan so it's all good...my issue is the language kids text in. I understand the whole thing about abbreviating and all that, it drives me crazy when I look at his homework and he's got so many misspelled words and then he practices misspelling via texting. So what I am contemplating is telling him that if he wishes to continue to be able to text on his phone then he needs to use proper grammar, for the most part. Example, if he wants to say "me and you" then it'll be ok for him to text "me n u". But he does things like spells "have" "hav", and "know" "no", "phone" "fone", "couldn't" "cudnt", etc. What do you think? Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03 CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6 Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f
shainemcconnell Posted July 16, 2009 Report Posted July 16, 2009 worth a try.........it all irritates me....and I even do it some. I got into the habit of spelling"cool" with a "k" I even used "u" in some papers I wrote in college.....until I set the auto correct to change all the u's to you.. 2010 IDBL Rookie 1 North American Champion 2009 IDBL Rookie 1 Fl State Champion 2009 EBB Fly Weight 3rd Place Fl State Finals 2006 Silver Grand Prix GXP :Diablo Audio Hellfire 1000.1, JL Audio 300/4, One 13W7, ZR650, VR690, JL Cleansweep setup. Team Pure Pressure
Aaron813 Posted July 16, 2009 Report Posted July 16, 2009 Ya ive been a big one for the abbreviations in texting i cant stand getting a message where it says stuff in abbreviations it drives me crazy since its so dang hard to read it
Kandrew279 Posted July 16, 2009 Report Posted July 16, 2009 i luv 2 txt. but i usually don't text like that ^
enemyofsilence Posted July 16, 2009 Report Posted July 16, 2009 i tnk its a grt idea. try it out and c how ur kid reacts. but it mgt take a while 4 him 2 get it. lol, jk man. i say go for it. my parents did the same to my younger sister. well they ask for proper grammer when she texts them at least. and it has helped her a bit Team Bass-Hz
Torres Posted July 16, 2009 Report Posted July 16, 2009 back in high school when i was on instant messengers a lot i got in the habit of 'kewl' and 'u' and all that. did some of the internet spelling in high school papers cuz that was how i was used to typing. i strayed away from that a lot because i rather it look like i have sense instead of all those abbreviations. now all i don't do is capitalize
ShawsvilleStang Posted July 16, 2009 Report Posted July 16, 2009 I just went through my sent messages, looks like all I did it type takin for taking, and sum for some... I like propper grammer, im a nerd.
Kandrew279 Posted July 16, 2009 Report Posted July 16, 2009 i like using acronyms like omfg lmfao ftw!! and some shortening of words, but i hate when people put numb3rs 1n f0R l3773rs, hbu m8?
SQMonte Posted July 16, 2009 Author Report Posted July 16, 2009 i tnk its a grt idea. try it out and c how ur kid reacts. but it mgt take a while 4 him 2 get it. lol, jk man. i say go for it. my parents did the same to my younger sister. well they ask for proper grammer when she texts them at least. and it has helped her a bit I did something like that at first, but......I got a text from him yesterday that read "cum outsyde" So I texted him back "i'm at work" He texted back "oh, sorry dad, I was trying to text Dean" So my whole thing is that he texts his friends far more than he texts me so I don't think expecting proper grammar only when he texts me would accomplish much, besides not aggravating me as I try to read it. But that's not my main goal, I don't want him to be able to misspell better than he can spell. Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03 CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6 Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f
99vic Posted July 16, 2009 Report Posted July 16, 2009 obama's punk ass needs to ban texting.not fire arms REST IN PARADISE BIG RICH (Sqmonte) never forgotten Why do you guys ALWAYS dispute on NUMBERS????? It's such a played out argument, so fucking annoying.... It's 12 fuckin 15's.... It's louder than you... Shut the fuck up... /Rant I'm so jealous, it makes me want to club baby seals. That shit gets down HARD!dont buy from knowledge he will scam you. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/30995-official-knowledge-feedback/
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.