DC Sound Lab

put in my new sub last night and the voice coil burnt out in less than 5 min

Ive only had 1 problem with mine since i had it for almost 8 months now, and that was MY error.. i blew 1 coil, but i havent paid for a recone yet *fixing my car up befor audio atm* and i am running both XLs on 900 rms a piece on 1 coil each.... thats right, im running 900 rms on 1 coil daily, full blast and its still banging really loud..

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

i still don't get it though. if you say you had the volume on 3-5 then came out and your car was full of smoke. just doesn't sound right :huh:

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

it will if it is clipped bad enough

no it doesnt.

Please dont argue if you dont know how an amplifier works.

If an amplifier is not broken, meaning "working properly" it cannot and will not output dc.

It is impossible.

Just because the a/c audio signal is completely square wave that does not make it "dc" voltage.

Hook a o-scope up to a car batt and look at the wave, the hook it to an ac signal completely clipped and see the difference.

This whole thing is a (bad) myth.

Sorry you have been misled into believing it.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Before we continue, it is important to understand just how clipping the waveform can introduce a DC voltage. First, look at the basic waveform details (two complete cycles are shown), both before and after it is clipped ...

Figure 2.3 - Input Waveform Detail

The total shaded area shows that the area above the zero volt line is exactly equal to the area below, therefore, the signal is perfectly balanced and there is no DC at all. When the amplifier chops off (clips) the section below the line marked 'Clipping Level', the two areas are no longer the same - the area in the lower part of the waveform is smaller because some of it has been removed when the amplifier overloads. Since the upper (positive) section of the waveform now has more area than the lower (negative) section, the overall waveform has a positive bias - this is seen as a DC voltage. No tricks, no special effects, just plain old physics at its most basic level.

my bad this is what i was always taught reguardless clipping cannot be good.

TEAM GROUNDPOUNDERS INC.

156.5 OUT THE TRUNK OF A 95 CADDY

W/1 SUB & 2AMPs

score done on a termlab mic in the kick

on the dash sealed was 154

groundpounders-sig-1.jpg

Before we continue, it is important to understand just how clipping the waveform can introduce a DC voltage. First, look at the basic waveform details (two complete cycles are shown), both before and after it is clipped ...

Figure 2.3 - Input Waveform Detail

The total shaded area shows that the area above the zero volt line is exactly equal to the area below, therefore, the signal is perfectly balanced and there is no DC at all. When the amplifier chops off (clips) the section below the line marked 'Clipping Level', the two areas are no longer the same - the area in the lower part of the waveform is smaller because some of it has been removed when the amplifier overloads. Since the upper (positive) section of the waveform now has more area than the lower (negative) section, the overall waveform has a positive bias - this is seen as a DC voltage. No tricks, no special effects, just plain old physics at its most basic level.

my bad this is what i was always taught reguardless clipping cannot be good.

It mimics dc, BUT the signal is still alternating there-fore is not DC voltage.

the problem with a heavy clip is that the coil doesnt have a chance to "rest".

the (time) between pos. and neg. bias is almost nil.

but at no time can you hook a DC operated piece of equipment to the amp and have it operate.

very simple physics here.

dc voltage does NOT alternate.

there would be no + and - signal on a scope.

even if it was the most hardest of clip it will still alternate.

Ever seen a working amp just push a speaker straight out? and never retract?

answer is no.

Trust me, I used to believe the same thing.

grab a scope and see for yourself.

clip is still ac even though the "time" between + &- is 0ms

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Oh I believe you I was just copying and pasting that so you could see where my confusion was coming from but yes I am sure if you hook up a 12 volt dc item to a speaker terminal you would get 1 heck of a learning experience.

TEAM GROUNDPOUNDERS INC.

156.5 OUT THE TRUNK OF A 95 CADDY

W/1 SUB & 2AMPs

score done on a termlab mic in the kick

on the dash sealed was 154

groundpounders-sig-1.jpg

why would you leave it bangin without you around? i never let my system bang unless im inside or within 5 feet of my truck

x2 on this. thats a noob move. you never leave your ride on and go in the gas station with it un attended. ESPECIALLY if the beat is full crankin.

I Rock 4 Doors 4 More Whores!

SMD SUPER SELLER

my seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-mama-feedback/

more seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-slaps-yo-mama/

It mimics dc, BUT the signal is still alternating there-fore is not DC voltage.

the problem with a heavy clip is that the coil doesnt have a chance to "rest".

the (time) between pos. and neg. bias is almost nil.

but at no time can you hook a DC operated piece of equipment to the amp and have it operate.

very simple physics here.

dc voltage does NOT alternate.

there would be no + and - signal on a scope.

even if it was the most hardest of clip it will still alternate.

Ever seen a working amp just push a speaker straight out? and never retract?

answer is no.

Trust me, I used to believe the same thing.

grab a scope and see for yourself.

clip is still ac even though the "time" between + &- is 0ms

I have to agree, I'll admit I don't know much about the electronics of an amp, BUT, I do know that an actual DC signal to a sub will either have it all the way out, or all the way in...it won't move...easy way to prove this to yourself...hook a car battery up to your sub and see what happens :)

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

cut the woofer up and show us the coil.

the fact that it was at first working, then broke is pn you. your recieved it and it worked. then you proceeded to break it in some form or fashion, allbeit possibly accidental or equipment malfunction its still on you.

Recone FTW!

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP