i jsut installed a new MECHMAN 250 amp alt and ran it for about 30 seconds and it got REALLY hot. is this normal? Every connection is right how it should be....

NOVEMBER 2008 SYSTEM OF THE MONTH!

ORIGINAL YUKON BUILD!

TEAM DTF

TEAM Rival Mobile Electronics

TEAM Xs Power

94 yukon

12 Rival C15s

50+ Boston mids and highs

15 Xs power D2400

600+ ft of 1/0

10+ gallons of resin

99 Silverado.

4 15" Treo SSX

Stetsom 14k2d

5 CD tech batteries

155+ daily

Team DTF

"did you just drive past my house in your stupidly loud car. if it was you, you knocked a vase off my fire place."

Guest DC Power Kyle

Were you running your stereo at the time? If so, how high was your stereo and what kind of power are you pushing? How hot are we talking? 200+ degrees? 120? What was your voltage?

Edited by DC Power Kyle

Were you running your stereo at the time? If so, how high was your stereo and what kind of power are you pushing? How hot are we talking? 200+ degrees? 120? What was your voltage?

noo everything was off. its charging 4 kinetik 1800's right now but they were all resting at 13 volts. i have the mla dual volt mod and it was runnin at 15.3. it was hott enough that u couldnt do anythinig but tap it or it would burn. it jsut seems wierd to me that it would heat up that fast. my hood was open also

NOVEMBER 2008 SYSTEM OF THE MONTH!

ORIGINAL YUKON BUILD!

TEAM DTF

TEAM Rival Mobile Electronics

TEAM Xs Power

94 yukon

12 Rival C15s

50+ Boston mids and highs

15 Xs power D2400

600+ ft of 1/0

10+ gallons of resin

99 Silverado.

4 15" Treo SSX

Stetsom 14k2d

5 CD tech batteries

155+ daily

Team DTF

"did you just drive past my house in your stupidly loud car. if it was you, you knocked a vase off my fire place."

Guest DC Power Kyle

Yeah something doesn't seem right. The alternator may be overworking itself and creating a lot of heat. Did you DMM the voltage to see what the voltage was? I know you have the MLA module but you have to see what the alternator is really putting out.

mine did the same thing...both times we installed it ;)

im not sure why, mine got very hot, shut the car off within 10 seconds of it starting, let the batteries charge for awhile, started it up an hour later and it didnt get hot again.

im thinking maybe starting the car dropped my underhood bat down enough for the fresh alt to have to kick on and charge it

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

noo everything was off. its charging 4 kinetik 1800's right now but they were all resting at 13 volts. i have the mla dual volt mod and it was runnin at 15.3. it was hott enough that u couldnt do anythinig but tap it or it would burn. it jsut seems wierd to me that it would heat up that fast. my hood was open also

In order to bring 4 Kinetik 1800's to 15.3 volts, you are talking about almost 80 amps worth of current with NO LOAD. Add the vehicle's stock amperage requirements (20 -30 amps) and you are talking about 110 amp load before you ever even turn on your head unit. You have to remember that a battery IS a load for an alternator if the setpoint of the regulator is higher than the resting voltage of the battery. The higher the setpoint is above the battery's resting voltage, the harder the alternator will have to work to hit the setpoint.

BTW, 15.3 volts will eventually ruin those batteries now that you actually have some amperage behind that voltage. If you listen carefully, the batteries will start hissing (gassing) after a few about half an hour or so.

I had the same problem with my mechman. Over heated and brunt out 3 times. Only draw was the car itself. Clamped it and only got 18 amps and it ran so hot it smoked with in 5 mins of use.

If you are going to share your experience, please be factual about it. I can post the e-mails where YOU admitted that there was 120 amps flowing through the alternator charge cable at idle with supposedly "no load" load on it. 18 amps is what clamped flowing through the power cable from the batts to the car. Trying to bring a huge battery bank to 15+ volts IS a load on an alternator.

I can also post the conversation where you admitted that two of you batteries tested bad.

Thanks

Matt

If you are going to share your experience, please be factual about it.

Wow this guy has posted a few times around the forum how your alts suck and to not but them. But I think this is the first time this info has been brought out. Hmmmm interesting.

If you are going to share your experience, please be factual about it. I can post the e-mails where YOU admitted that there was 120 amps flowing through the alternator charge cable at idle with supposedly "no load" load on it. 18 amps is what clamped flowing through the power cable from the batts to the car. Trying to bring a huge battery bank to 15+ volts IS a load on an alternator.

I can also post the conversation where you admitted that two of you batteries tested bad.

Thanks

Matt

Don't you just hate it when someone thinks that an alt can "CHARGE" a large battery bank, and above and beyond that, come here to talk "smack" about your products, that clearly that individual was incorrect, and more or less was the reason for the "ALT" failure.

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny