Sonic Electronix

First off, I would like to say that I love this forum. The community is extremely helpful, and there are some insane builds.

I bought 2 new subwoofers earlier this week (Memphis PR 15"). They are in a slot ported box that a friend of mine from a local shop built.

I have a Memphis PR 1.500 amp. (came from old setup. was only used for a matter of months, and not pushed hard AT ALL)

The head unit is an Alpine CDE-9872. (came from old setup)

All wiring is memphis. 1 gauge amp kit.

The door speakers are still stock.(working on getting new ones)

The car is a S10 Blazer. (Old setup was in a Lexus ES300 with the same amp and deck, but 3 kicker 12" comps)

I can post pics of the setup if you guys want..but it's nothing too crazy, nothing that you haven't seen before. Nothing like the systems on this site.

I am somewhat new to car stereos, and I have a few questions about my setup. Thank you to all who help!

I was wondering if there would be any reason NOT to have my amp being pushed to it's full potential? Is it safe to turn it all the way up?

I am pretty sure that the subs could take it, right?

Also, what kinds of numbers do you think my system would put up? I know it won't be anything good, I was just curios.

This car is going to be a project for me. I want to make it loud to where I can actually go to shows and competitions.

I am probably not going to be able to get any good numbers out of what I have, but I am making good money now and everything can be replaced in time.

And I am going to start adding things to the car with every paycheck, but I honestly don't know what to start with.

I was wondering what you guys would do next if you had my current setup? (within reason. more expensive=takes longer to afford)

I know it is a long thread, but any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Edited by That1Kid

-98' Ford Expedition (Rest in Peace)

-AVH-P3300BT

-Crescendo BC5500

-4 18" DC m2 Level 3.

I was wondering if there would be any reason NOT to have my amp being pushed to it's full potential? Is it safe to turn it all the way up?

I am pretty sure that the subs could take it, right?

I know it is a long thread, but any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

If you mean turnin you're gain all the way up to get it's full potential, then the answer is no.

You need to set the gain accordingly to the HU output voltage.

If you turn up you're gain to the max, then you're subs will die, because you're sending it a clipped signal.(=bad)

You need to set you're gains properly with a o-scope, or a DMM(=Digital Multi Meter)

If you're using a DMM, you need to connect you're DMM to the subwoofer out.

Then put you're DMM in AC voltage mode.

Play a 50hz tone on you're HU, with the volume on 75% of it's max.

Then adjust you're gains till you see an output voltage of 22.36V.(<= this is 500W got it from this chart)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

If you mean turnin you're gain all the way up to get it's full potential, then the answer is no.

You need to set the gain accordingly to the HU output voltage.

If you turn up you're gain to the max, then you're subs will die, because you're sending it a clipped signal.(=bad)

You need to set you're gains properly with a o-scope, or a DMM(=Digital Multi Meter)

If you're using a DMM, you need to connect you're DMM to the subwoofer out.

Then put you're DMM in AC voltage mode.

Play a 50hz tone on you're HU, with the volume on 75% of it's max.

Then adjust you're gains till you see an output voltage of 22.36V.(<= this is 500W got it from this chart)

^pretty close to perfect advice there, most people will zero out the EQ settings on the HU before setting.

First Of All Welcome To SMD. Have You Done The BIG 3? Thats A Easy And Cheap Way To Start Off A System (make the most out of your charging system)

Mike MICEuk

and welcome, Big 3 is a good start, could tell a big difference when I did mine. There are threads on the big 3 in this forum, if help needed. And u may get a lot of smart ass replys on here from time to time, but it is all in fun and games. So take no offense to to anything in here and learn as much as u can.

Edited by shainemcconnell

2010 IDBL Rookie 1 North American Champion

2009 IDBL Rookie 1 Fl State Champion

2009 EBB Fly Weight 3rd Place Fl State Finals

2006 Silver Grand Prix GXP :Diablo Audio Hellfire 1000.1, JL Audio 300/4, One 13W7, ZR650, VR690, JL Cleansweep setup.

Team Pure Pressure

dat12.jpgkonfused22copyn.gif

logottu.jpgproductimage.jpgpoweringlogosm.jpg

Start with an alarm. Haters gonna hate.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

^pretty close to perfect advice there, most people will zero out the EQ settings on the HU before setting.

and welcome, Big 3 is a good start, could tell a big difference when I did mine. There are threads on the big 3 in this forum, if help needed. And u may get a lot of smart ass replys on here from time to time, but it is all in fun and games. So take no offense to to anything in here and learn as much as u can.

Start with an alarm. Haters gonna hate.

Both good suggestions!

03 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext Cab l 2 15" American Bass XO's l 1 Lanzar HTG2600 l AudioVox 1510D In dash DVD l KnuKonceptz Wiring l Big Three Done with KnuKonceptz KLMX 1/0 l Infinity Reference 6022si 6-1/2" Front Door Speakers l Upgraded to 145A Alt from 105A Alt l Custom Box 2^3 under the rear bench with resined bottom, and about 4 lbs of polyfill

Thanks for the help guys. I already got my alarm installed haha. I've had 2 cars already stolen out of my driveway.

Damn!

03 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext Cab l 2 15" American Bass XO's l 1 Lanzar HTG2600 l AudioVox 1510D In dash DVD l KnuKonceptz Wiring l Big Three Done with KnuKonceptz KLMX 1/0 l Infinity Reference 6022si 6-1/2" Front Door Speakers l Upgraded to 145A Alt from 105A Alt l Custom Box 2^3 under the rear bench with resined bottom, and about 4 lbs of polyfill

Damn!

Man, that's not even the worst of it. One of them was stolen on my birthday!

I tried to find threads on"The Big 3" here, but the search failed.

I searched on google and found some things. I will check it out this weekend.

THANKS for the help guys.

-98' Ford Expedition (Rest in Peace)

-AVH-P3300BT

-Crescendo BC5500

-4 18" DC m2 Level 3.

Watch this for the Big 3..

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...c=52856&hl=

Also do a search on his name and look at some of his other posts, might come in handy..

Oh ya and Welcome to the site

Edited by sodfamily

Head Unit: Alpine CDA 9887

Sub Amps: 4 RF2500's

Subs: 8 SA-12's Walled

Comp Amp: 1 RF600.2 (for now)

Comps: (4) 6.5 Punch Mid Pros and 2 Punch Pro Tweeters

Batteries: (1) XS D5100 (5) D3100

Power Cables: 2 runs of 2/0 power and ground each front to back(Try-Star)

Alternator: Dual Mechman Rhino 250's

Deadener: Fatmat / Damplifier Pro