Second Skin Audio

Tips on building enclosures.

Bracing, bracing, bracing...especially when running beefier subs. Double, triple check calculations. Sucks ass when you get done and all your hard work is for nothing because it sounds like crap.

<u>99 Jimmy SLT 4WD</u>

Systemless.

<u>99 Grand Prix GTP</u>

DC XL 12 on 1.5k tuned lowwwwww.

every box ive built last were built from 3/4'' 13ply birch plywood, with 2'' brad nails, and elmer's wood glue with bath tub silicone in edges and none have ever been blown apart, i quit usein screws cause brad nails dont take up as much space n kinda secure better cause if u predrill n counter sink screws ur weaking the joint and makein it easyer for the screw to strip out

this not only goes with sub/speaker boxs but everything else ive ever built, if u nail it right the first time no need for screws, i only use screws for subs/speakers now, none on speaker box

i useto build cabnets n distplay cases with my gpa n dad alot when i was lil, so lets say ive only been workin wit wood for 10yrs or so, its simple but it would be cool for a how to sub box deal, i kno we got the fiberglass help but for some ppl they need help wit how to do ported boxs, i can build pritty much anything if i got a somewhat blueprint to go by but custom never has blueprints lol

would be nice tho

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

if you don't have a router, get 1, well, 2

1 plunge, 1 set height

get a few different round over bits, large round over bits are sexy doing it on all edges.

flush cut bits, a 1/4" and a 1/2", and I will usually have a 3/4" and 1/4" straight bits for circles, and the 3/4 is for doing dado's

a router table would be nice as well

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Double, triple check calculations. Sucks ass when you get done and all your hard work is for nothing because it sounds like crap.

Lol... Funny thing is, I calculated all my cuts for my box real quick, and when I did my side boards, I must have had something else going through my head, cuz I wrote down 2 33.5" x 14" side boards when I needed 2 20" x 14" boards. Good thing I bought 2 sheets. :01nocomment8so:

I should have braced my box, but I thought 20" wasn't that long of a stretch. Seems to be doing good. Something I did to it today that I should have done when I was building it, was corner 45's and I also built a 45* port divider and I noticed a HUGE increase from that hour worth of work.

My latest project; 87 Accord Hatchback!... Only got my 6 1/2's in it right now... I'm working on shining my engine to show quality right now, then I'll put it in. System will come around the 1st.

ive done boxes with not one nail or brad or screw that were high 40s boxes NEVER blew apart. ive done 2 walls with brad nailer and glue with resinand glass on inside no screws they are still both fine.

imo port arrangement, proper mathematics, and straight cuts are pretty much all it takes. the wood glue does the rest

yeah the glue holds the wood together, not the nails/screws- think of those as clamps

I have epoxy here that will hold a box together better than anything fastener that you buy ( next to rod) that will hold a box together with a bead of glue about 1/8"

but the glue is so expensive, its pointless to use it, unless you have a customer paying 2 - 3 times what they would be paying usually

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

this is how i build my boxes.

Glue, Clamp, Predrill, Screw, take off clamp, then move on to the next side.

the screws basically clamps the pieces together until the glue dries.

have you guys tried using CA glue + saw dust on your boxes?

when i was in the Philippines for a vacation couple of months ago, i talked to a famous box builder there and he said he uses CA glue + saw dust, he also said it dries quicker and the best thing is you can use it soon after you finish the box.

I dont know if it would be a tip or more of a preference, but i always like to build a tenth or 2 bigger on enclosures, when everything is said and done, recalculate, and whatever room left i fill up with bracing..

Ive seen and or used:

1in dowel

All-thread

2x4,6,8

4x4

specific shaped MDF pieces

plumbers strap

*did i forget any?*

for bracing. depending on the design, and your space availability.

Securing the box to the car is important too..likely that'll happen, prolly not, but i really dont want to be the guy who finds out what a 2-18's box feels like implanting itself in the back of my skull when that dumb ass pulls out in front of me some where.

93 Chevy Silverado

Crossfire,Dayton

Soon to have 6 Lvl4 15s

DC Audio Dealer and Team Member