newls1's HUGE 8"s of fury x2 (Starts page 15 for newest update 3/17/13)

how you guys doin west of atl im east of atl if the yellow river goes im runnin LoL im bout 10 min from yellow river

completly flooded. I've seen pieces of road missing today, stories of kids drowning, pictures/video of schools and houses up to the rafters with water.

its weird seein it come to life... alot of work went into this, it was not some 15 minute sketchup

my fav shot

Posted Image

in time my effort and brians will payoff with brutal lows and head snapping kicks... very musical yet very loud for 6kw

there arent many subs that would enjoy this environment... but hdcs are a beast in their own category with alot of success with 16-20sqin/cuft... 25cuft@36hz, it should be a great mix that will be very musical and play all notes very well... this is not for competing at all, he will, but this is a serious daily driver that should be devastating for only 6kw

by simply adding wood into the enclosure and adding in more port supports he can add more power and keep this box instead of needing to rebuild... 22-24cuft@37 with ~400sqin if he decides to double the power

i had a contraint of 24" tall so hence the 61" depth to compensate

he originally wanted btls... but they need to be tuned lower so the box was the same size, so i used the space he was already gonna waste (lol) and made basically as perfectly a square box i could with a huge external port if you will, air flow will be less restricted this way and create almost identical airspaces for each subs... if the port was inside, the subs above the port might "see" less volume, so its just being picky and an attempt at makin the most efficient design for the cabin space being used

with box placement and that angled piece with the letters should really help air flow and get the pressure forward towards the cabin and not stuck in the back

dont be shy with bracing, do it all 2x4s and glass/mat

id also suggest t-nuts instead of screws... u can resin them into place

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

its weird seein it come to life... alot of work went into this, it was not some 15 minute sketchup

my fav shot

Posted Image

in time my effort and brians will payoff with brutal lows and head snapping kicks... very musical yet very loud for 6kw

there arent many subs that would enjoy this environment... but hdcs are a beast in their own category with alot of success with 16-20sqin/cuft... this is 17.9sqin tuned to 36.Xhz, it should be a great mix that will be very musical and play all notes very well... this is not for competing at all, he will, but this is a serious daily driver that should be devastating for only 6kw

by simply adding wood into the enclosure and adding in more port supports he can add more power and keep this box instead of needing to rebuild

i had a contraint of 24" tall so hence the 61" depth to compensate

he originally wanted btls... but they need to be tuned lower so the box was the same size, so i used the space he was already gonna waste (lol) and made basically a perfectly square box with a huge external port if you will, air flow will be less restricted this way and create almost identical airspaces for each subs...

with box placement and that angled piece with the letters should really help air flow and get the pressure forward towards the cabin and not stuck in the back

I've got one question about the measurements. Since the port is using the floor of the box as a common wall, did you account for end correction (like a slot port) ? If so i think the box is gonna be more like 35.x hz (still kickass)

I've got one question about the measurements. Since the port is using the floor of the box as a common wall, did you account for end correction (like a slot port) ? If so i think the box is gonna be more like 35.x hz (still kickass)

yup, thats why he needs to round over the ports too, that elimnates ~1" of port length if he uses 3/4" roundover bit

itd be sweet if he could find a 1" roundover, thatd be perfect for the top of the ports... bottom and sides would obviously need to be 3/4" or smaller

he should be tuned to 35.99hz w/3cuft of sub and bracin displacement accounted for (1.04cuft of sub/1.96cuft 2x4s and fiber+mat) so the more bracing the better as it will raise the tuning

another reason the port is like this is that if he waits to install the angled piece... he can listen to it and if he wants to tune higher just take it off the ports length... which will make the box say 59"d

theres alot of room to play with with the port outside... hell his vehicle might love the lows no matter tuning, in that case he could get louder by shrinking port length, on the other hand, if his car isnt a fan of low notes, its a good thing he tuned right at the aqs lowest limits (dj said nothing below 35hz)

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

yup, thats why he needs to round over the ports too, that elimnates ~1" of port length if he uses 3/4" roundover bit

itd be sweet if he could find a 1" roundover, thatd be perfect for the top of the ports... bottom and sides would obviously need to be 3/4" or smaller

he should be tuned to 35.99hz w/3cuft of sub and bracin displacement accounted for (1.04cuft of sub/1.96cuft 2x4s and fiber+mat) so the more bracing the better as it will raise the tuning

another reason the port is like this is that if he waits to install the angled piece... he can listen to it and if he wants to tune higher just take it off the ports length... which will make the box say 59"d

theres alot of room to play with with the port outside... hell his vehicle might love the lows no matter tuning, in that case he could get louder by shrinking port length, on the other hand, if his car isnt a fan of low notes, its a good thing he tuned right at the aqs lowest limits (dj said nothing below 35hz)

We may have to do the ole hand rounding of the port as neither of us have a router.

Oh and i've already made plans for what to do if he wants to go higher or lower. thought about getting a 46.5" piece of pvc and splitting it in half, then putting it along the top of the port to act as a flair (inside the box) also.

Archived