Sonic Electronix

2 Alpine 12's in a sealed box, Hifonics amp = Sounds like ass

I am completely stumped on this one. To start off, I feel I have a decent understanding of ported enclosures and basically every ported box I have built on my own has sounded good. However, Whenever I build a sealed box for a friend, I am NEVER satisfied with the sound quality.

Here's a little back story on what I am doing. A good friend of mine has two RF Punch 12's (I would hope P2's, but considering he paid about 400 for the whole system (box, amp and two speakers) new at best buy they are probably P1's. He has been wanting more bass for the longest time, however could not justify buying my old Audiopipe 15's when I was selling them. Another friend of mine had two older Alpine Type-R 12's he used to use. AFAIK they are in perfect working order, minus a small hole in the dust cup on one of the alpines (has been repaired decently, I do not see that affecting SQ at all).

The logical thought for me was to get the two Alpine 12's, build a nice ported box for my friend and find him a deal on a legit 1000W amp somewhere. That should give him a huge improvement over his sealed Punch's. Yesterday I picked up the Alpines from my friend, I pulled them out of the sealed box they were in, double checked the wiring, as I had no clue how this box was internally wired three years ago. Now I assume, and this is confirmed by everything I read, that Alpine Type R's are Dual 4 ohm coils.

Tonight I went to a parking lot (damned neighbors hate me), and with the 12's sealed box sitting in my backseat (as the trunk is full of a LOT of BTL box and I cant really remove that by myself) I wired them to my Hifonics 2000W amp at 1 ohm, and proceeded to tune a system like I normally would (set the gain at zero and adjust up...). I wanted to test the speakers, and have heard two sealed Type-R's before and they can get quite loud in a sealed enclosure. However, no matter what I set the gain at, the SQ is just terrible, and I get very little beat out of the setup. Unless I somehow had it wired at 8 ohm instead of 1 I do not see how it could sound so bad. I wired each speaker down to 2 ohm (Pos to Pos, Neg to Neg) and then connected the Pos and Neg coming off the two speakers in parallel to the amp + and -. I also re wired it to the way Hifonics recommends you wire two 2 ohm speakers to the amp (4 terminals, kinda hard to explain at 3AM).

I guess what I am asking is, How critical in the car is the placement of a sealed enclosure? I have a station wagon, so the airspace of the car is obviously very well connected, and I assume that having the subs in the back seat wont affect it nearly as much as I am seeing.

Tomorrow I will get together with the friend with the car these will be installed in when I get all issues worked out. I will throw them in his trunk and wire it to his current amp, and if these arnt at least as good as his Punch's, I will really be confused.

God I feel like a moron, I cant wire in the most common simple setup of two sealed cheap 12's, but I have no problem dealing with my BTL... ???? :01nocomment8so: Ported FTMFW

- John

My Impreza Wagon:

1x Fi BTL 18"

1x Hifonics Brutus BXi 2010D

1x Alpine MDA-W933J Double-Din JDM Unit

1x Kinetik HC1800 Battery

Audiopipe 1/0 Gauge Wire

Hushmat + Beast alpine deck coming soon...

type r? sealed box? hifonics amp? which one of these things dosent belong! time for ported. your box is most likely too small.

yeah i skim read, i dont have a very tight attention span.

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

if you have a mulit meter check the final ohm load.. you might have switched the positive and negative around on one of the woofers.

rewire it.. take all positives to the postiive on the amp and all negatives to the negative on the amp.

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

tuned to 25 hz... stay tuned.

blazer

stroker 15

brutus bxi2006d terrible voltage drop

145.4@38HZ... SEALED LEGAL

Aim: chewieft09

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

my house is louder than your car...

do they share a common chamber?

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

tuned to 25 hz... stay tuned.

blazer

stroker 15

brutus bxi2006d terrible voltage drop

145.4@38HZ... SEALED LEGAL

Aim: chewieft09

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

my house is louder than your car...

Maybe I mis understood this part, but I think you mentioned ALL type r's are dual 4ohm? Mine are actually dual 2 ohm. they have both......and I think it may be the same as said above. too small an enclosure maybe? Size of sealed enclosure? cant say I ever had a good experience with a SEALED type r. tried a couple times with wifes car and type r's, eventually went with ported. sounded better ported with 1 sub than 2 sealed.

Edited by 98crewcab

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

My 200 dollar walmart set up was/is louder (or just about damn equal) than my 1300 dollar jl audio/alpine set up...

2 10's PORTED boxes tuned at 57 hertz on 500 class Z watts

vs

2 12's W3s in SEALED box on 1k MRPM1000 class D watts.

Edited by VistaV6

SUCCESS is a decision, NOT a dream. You have to name the price you are willing to pay to get it.

"You didn't have an ice pick on you? Amateur. " -- Wax from Fchat.