Sonic Electronix

Re-Invention of SPL competition

back when db drag was big, people lost by 10-20db but they came back, why? well here in Pa, back in '98-'01 you had about 2-3 shows every weekend, now you have 4 a year, more shows equals more chances to get addicted to the sport.

the main problem i see is to get a meter for shows is around $1000 for the dual pack and then a laptop and printer and then $100 fee to run it, you just put out $2000+ to run a 1x show. it's too much, what i'd like to see happen is the promoters and db drag to look on a map and see where there are no shows happening and then try to get shops in that area to run one, maybe at half price or something. we need the local shops to have local shows, 1x db drags, anything that can get the interest back.

'00 Honda Civic Si IASCA stock trunk/pickup 1 World Record 4/20 150.6/150.7dB
Team DC Team XS Power

Team ISB

Steve's Body Shop
http://www.dcsoundlab.com/

Talking to a few people helped me refine another idea about the competition itself.

I always believed there are too many multi-point events in one area.

There could be 2 levels of dB Drag.

1. level is the National/international level. This is where there is a specific series of events where National level competitors go for points and certified SPL to make it to the National/World Finals.

2nd level is regional competitors who dont care bout attending World Finals. There will be strict regions with a regional championship at the end of the season. National level competitors are prohibited from competing in this level.

But, a regional level competitor can compete in a national level event if they wanted. But if they want to move up to Finals, they are no longer eligible for the regional finals.

Its kinda like a Pro and Amateur, but the competitor can choose the level based on their goals for the season.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

^^^ Maybe if there were enough competitors.

as of now, restrictions should be dropped and allow more people to have more competition rather than splitting everybody.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

Im not trying to offend anyone.

A year or so ago we went to one of these shows in Orlando Fl. The set up from the shop was cool.(vendors for food and such). the competion was good to. now maybe Im just an old school guy but 99 percent of the cars and trucks there were wiring NIGHTMARES and nothing was nicely installed. Years back spl cars/trucks could double as car show vehicles.

So IMO if you want people to come and watch your sport there should be some pride in craftsmanship

and that'll give people who arent into the sport something to look at and maybe draw them in. hope this helps. Rich

you dont need to look good to be loud, look at some guys drag cars SLEEPERS look like hunks of terds but they are hella fast, its all up to the owner if you can get loud with $5000 into your system as some other guy spends $20000 to be just as loud but his looks 1000x better who cares let em do what they want

just my .02

Talking to a few people helped me refine another idea about the competition itself.

I always believed there are too many multi-point events in one area.

There could be 2 levels of dB Drag.

1. level is the National/international level. This is where there is a specific series of events where National level competitors go for points and certified SPL to make it to the National/World Finals.

2nd level is regional competitors who dont care bout attending World Finals. There will be strict regions with a regional championship at the end of the season. National level competitors are prohibited from competing in this level.

But, a regional level competitor can compete in a national level event if they wanted. But if they want to move up to Finals, they are no longer eligible for the regional finals.

Its kinda like a Pro and Amateur, but the competitor can choose the level based on their goals for the season.

not a bad idea...

honestly i feel like meca is amature, and dbdrag is pro...

u never ever see the ridiculous spl setups in meca like u do in drag...

i love drag for the fact i get to see stupid loud and over the top systems...i just love it

i love meca because its way more affordable for the average consumer...

a way to combine these two ideas could be awesome!

i likes me some audio stuff...

The big thing hurting stereo comps is that your regular store customers with ENTRY level systems have to run against people with xxxx runs of 1/0 and a 5000 watt amp in a BEGINNER class. If they lost by a few tenths or even a few DB it would get them interested in a new box design and some better gear. Now when this same customer who lets say has 500w amp and a single twelve to run either Street A in DB drag or Street 1 in Meca, he's guaranteed to get STOMPED buy a good 10-15 db if anyone with a CRX rolls up. Tell me who would be interested in coming back for another show.

I agree with your whole post but I only quoted this part of it because I'm one of the guys who got stomped by >14db....not hating, dude is a great guy and has a killer setup with a lot of work and equipment invested in it....but for me, the average guy with a low tuned low budget daily driver, its discouraging to be in the same class as someone like that. Im sure other regular guys feel the same way.

GuEMAcB_zps08015839.png

perhaps it should be power rated again. Use the manufacturers ratings at 4 ohm. The new guy with a small system- 2 12's and a 1000 watt amp will be put in street B and have to go against a guy like Vernon, that has 2 12's and 2 AB 500.1's. Duh, who is gonna want to go again. The street class for DB Drag is set up fairly well, but needs to be done by power. Extreme cars are dinosaurs. I love them, they are neat to see, and they are insanely loud, but you cant hear it, the panels cant vibrate, it boring, and most are quite ugly.

4 sections. 0-1000 watts; 1-2 tens, 1-2 twelves, 1 fifteen; no walls

1001+ same woofers; no walls

these 2 classes are designed for beginners and guys with small systems

0-5000 watts;1-4tens, 1-3 twelves, 1-2 fifteens, 1 eighteen; no walls

5000+ watts; 5+ tens, 4+ twelves, 3+ fifteens, 2-4 eighteens; no walls

this is designed for serious street competitors, more seasoned anyways

0-5000 watts; 1-4 tens, 1-4 twelves, 1-2 fifteens, 1 eighteen; WALLS

5000+ watts; 5+ tens, 5+ twelves, 3+ fifteens, 2+ eighteens; WALLS

Extreme class, anything goes

In my opinion bass race is good, but i also would also add some open door crowd action. Get the crowd invloved, people wanna feel the bass. You could stand 30 feet away from Bob Perillo's old van (yes he sold the blue beast) and you could still feel it in your chest.

To people complaing about no shows. It has to start somewhere, go to your local shops with some fliers and hold your own show. Get your local people involved, even if its not a sanctioned event. something is better than nothing.

Having too many shows isnt good either. If there are too many shows, people get bored with it. Regionalize the shows. Each season, every region gets 1-2 major shows. If people wanna compete, they should get to the shows.

1997 Astro

front:6 sets of T3 componets

Subs: 8 level 5 18"s (building 6th order BP)

Amps: 4 really big ones (totalling just shy of 50K)

Batts:

Alt: Ohio Generator

1996 Chevy Suburban

Sub amp: A fifth really big amp

Subwoofer: 2-15" DC Level 4 XL

Batts: C&D high rate--(x4)

Also, when you see alot of other auto formats, when they are preparing the race, they show interviews of the people prior to the race, or show some build pics and videos. This shows the people watching at home all that is involved.

At the event, you need to allow the people to view the vehicles. Let them see the builds up close, allow them get some demos and meet the builders/competitors, then during competition, the spectators have to go in the stands to watch. By meeting the competitors, they might have someone to cheer for.

I have been competing for quite a while. i have made some really pretty systems, and have made some godaweful ugly ones. People wanna see nice setups, not a ball of wires and bare MDF. Boxes must be finished with paint or carpeted, wires should be neatly run (or points deducted from score?)

Audio manufacturers have supported competing for a long time. Alot of them got their start in the lanes and have grown from there. While alot still support it, most no longer do, and I cant blame them. Right now, there is little to no return for them, and by selling product to a guy that is outrightly going to beat the crap out of it and break it, is just bad business. Out side support is needed. Amp Energy, Roca Wear, Adidas, Nike, GM, Ford, Honda.... these are the people we need to go after.

Would help to be able to tie in a stereo show with other major events. Walk by traffic is a great way to get noticed. Word of mouth is a great way to advertise.

MONEY. That is what is needed for prizes. Finals should be a heathly cash prize. Trophies all year, cash at the end.

1997 Astro

front:6 sets of T3 componets

Subs: 8 level 5 18"s (building 6th order BP)

Amps: 4 really big ones (totalling just shy of 50K)

Batts:

Alt: Ohio Generator

1996 Chevy Suburban

Sub amp: A fifth really big amp

Subwoofer: 2-15" DC Level 4 XL

Batts: C&D high rate--(x4)

Archived