Sonic Electronix

Re-Invention of SPL competition

OK, alot of you guys are involved in dB Drag or anyother type of SPL competition.

And you may have noticed over the years a dwindling in the popularity at such events.

Alot of people complain about classes and rules and money.

Well my thought is that has nothing to do with it.

I am currently working on Re-inventing our sport and building it into an actual motor sport.

Most competition formats are structured to make money from competitors, so they are trying to figure ways to bring in more competitors.

Well I dont believe that works.

My Thought is to format shows just like any televised sport.

Most sports and televised events are structured to make money from spectators, whether at the event or watching the T.V. coverage.

Look at monster trucks, they are million dollar enterprises to run a monster truck team. They arent making rule changes or classes to cater to just anybody with low income just because they feel like competing.

They only have about 10 trucks per event.

They key is that they have it formatted in a way to make it a great show to watch, and they can televise it.

They have announcers, and interviews, and that brings in sponsors. And they concentrate more on the quality of the show and the trucks, rather than the quantity of race teams.

Of course monster trucks are very exciting to watch, but there are also televised events such as bowling, golf, rock paper scissors, video games, strong man, curling, I even saw a bust on yo momma competition.

So even though I have never recorded video, or edited video, and I dont know anything about broadcasting or commentating., I am at least trying.

I am putting together my own show that I will be putting on my youtube channel

ShowtimeSPL

and I am building a website called www.showtimespl.com

And with that I will have a reality show of me working on my SPL and other cars, as well as I will be covering shows and adding commentary and interviews and back stories and competitor profiles. (kinda like Olympic sports)

I am not doing this to make money because I doubt I ever will, but I am doing to show an example to people what we should do, instead of just explaining it.

So if anyone else has ideas or expertise, then lets share. And maybe one day, SPEED channel or someone more capable can use my ideas to make something big.

And one important point is to make it mainstream, you can tune into an olympic sport you never heard of and watch all day because the commentators do a great job at explaining the rules, and they build up the athletes.

We can explain SPL better and what it takes to do what we do.

Also, events should be run to explain to the audience, have a jumbo-tron and a camera and interviewer showing cars as they come to the lanes, and have the competitors explain about their goals and such.

Also, what if dB Drag built their own vehicles to park out front of an event and demo all day?

Have events in Grand stand type locations and mini-stadiums instead of parking lots.

Well, those are just some of my thoughts.

What are yours?

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

I think that's a great idea. The only times I can remember seeing anything to do with SPL on TV was something I watched on 20/20 YEARS ago and a couple years ago Mythbusters did a show to see if you can actually build a system so loud that it destroys the car.

1990 Chevy Suburban (Big Booty Judy)

(4) Sundown Audio Zv5 18's

(1) Sundown Audio Salt 12K

(1) Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

(1) Sundown Audio SAE-50.4

(2) Crossfire ST-1 Tweeters

(2) Obsidian Audio ST-1 tweeters

(4) Sundown Audio Neo Pro v3 6.5's

Saving 2nd Bass

I think that's a great idea. The only times I can remember seeing anything to do with SPL on TV was something I watched on 20/20 YEARS ago and a couple years ago Mythbusters did a show to see if you can actually build a system so loud that it destroys the car.

yeah i saw that episode of 20/20 but they were talking about how its bad and what to do to stop it well kind of.
That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

This sounds like a pretty good idea. I think this could really lead to spl becoming very popular if a lot of ppl actually knew what spl is what it consists of. If you were in NC, id be game to help you out bro.

2000 White Ford Ranger

5" RCD lift

33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZs on 16x8 Mickey Thompson Classic 2s

Euro Altezza tail lights

5% window tint

Clarion Indash

4 Q Power 15s

1 Sundown 2000

1 DC power 300 amp alt(on the way)-soon to be 2

2 powermaster d925s batteries

Second Skin Deadener

Highs/mids amp-Crossfire 404

Door speakers-2 5x7 mb quarts and 1 5 1/4" black max up front, stock 5x7s in the rear

Soon to Come:

Lots of SA-8s

2 Sundown saz 3500s(possible 4500s)

5-7 d3100 batteries

custom clamshell

BNC 8s for mids

undecided tweeters

teamnemesissundown.jpg

yeah i saw that episode of 20/20 but they were talking about how its bad and what to do to stop it well kind of.

yeah, see, they were talking about "BOOM CARS" and how people hated them

We have a chance to show the good side, how its a hobby and keeps people out of gangs, lol

And show its just like anyother hobby/sport and the competition lanes are our place to play.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

Idk if its your thing but you could mix in some SQ because honestly over time the system builds are going to gte monotonous.

1999 Pontiac Sunfire

Alpine CDA-9886

Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D

Sundown Audio SAX-50.4

Rainbow SAC 265.25 Components

Image Dynamics iD12

Optima Yellow Top

SQFire FTW.

MECA had a decent year honestly....quite a bit more shows than last season...and this season was a month shorter.

they have teamed up with best buy to host shows at their stores....i think thats the key...to get the backbone of the audio industry (like a bestbuy) on board....

i likes me some audio stuff...

MECA had a decent year honestly....quite a bit more shows than last season...and this season was a month shorter.

they have teamed up with best buy to host shows at their stores....i think thats the key...to get the backbone of the audio industry (like a bestbuy) on board....

I think we need a big time sponsor. Any company that is involved in our demo-graphic. Could be X-Box or Nike, anybody with $$ to help throw a series of events and televise them.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

midwestspl has grown tremendously in its 2years of exsistence.. there were over 100cars at finals this year that qualified. grew almost 100% from its first year. maybe u should talk to steve benton, ed. you guys together with a organization would be crazy, because all steves shows are fun

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

Archived